Benchmarking Apprenticeship: UK and Continental Europe Compared
This paper reviews the main characteristics of the provision, organization and financing of appprenticeship in a number of leading European countries - Austria, Denmark, France, Germany and the Netherlands. These are compared to current practice in Britain as exemplified by Modern Apprenticeship. The main areas examined are the statutory framework and standards; employment prospects; achieving the employer-apprentice match; prior school qualifications of apprentices and motivation to enter apprenticeship; the management and financing of apprenticeship. The paper concludes that apprenticeship in Britain, judged as a programme, falls short of the standards of that provided elsewhere in Europe on every important measure of good practice.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2001|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://cep.lse.ac.uk/_new/publications/series.asp?prog=CEP|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Editors : & David Marsden & Hugh Stephenson, 2001. "Labour Law and Social Insurance in the New Economy: A Debate on the Supiot Report," CEP Discussion Papers dp0500, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Stephen Nickell & Glenda Quintini, 2001.
"Nominal Wage Rigidity and the Rate of Inflation,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0489, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Stephen Nickell & Luca Nunziata & Wolfgang Ochel & Glenda Quintini, 2001.
"The Beveridge curve, unemployment and wages in the OECD from the 1960s to the 1990s - preliminary version,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
20113, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Stephen Nickell & Luca Nunziata & Wolfgang Ochel & Glenda Quintini, 2001. "The Beveridge Curve, Unemployment and Wages in the OECD from the 1960s to the 1990s - Preliminary Version," CEP Discussion Papers dp0502, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Stephen Nickell & John Van Reenen, 2001. "Technological Innovation and Performance in the United Kingdom," CEP Discussion Papers dp0488, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cep:cepdps:dp0513. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.