Notes on Detecting the Effects of Non Tariff Measures
Alternative approaches to estimating the effects of non-tariff measures (NTMs) on trade flows are discussed and evaluated critically. Recent econometric studies point to three results: (i) NTM restrictiveness measures based on an aggregate of ‘core’ NTMs are more restrictive than existing tariffs and, because of export composition towards agricultural products, in the aggregate, these ‘core’ NTMs limit market-access most for low-income countries; (ii) Proxies for individual NTMs, have a negative effect on the volume of bilateral trade for the detailed product under scrutiny; (iii) harmonization of standards is trade enhancing. Case studies confirm several of these patterns, and also that perceived severity of NTMs varies across products and across destinations for a given product. Across broadly-defined imports at the section level, NTMs are more restrictive than the corresponding tariffs with two-thirds of the AVE estimates in the 25%-50% range. Technical regulations and non-automatic licensing are the most used single-NTM measures and the restrictiveness of technical regulations increases with income per capita.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (33-4) 73 17 74 00
Fax: (33-4) 73 17 74 28
Web page: http://cerdi.org/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Anne-Célia Disdier & Lionel Fontagné, 2009.
"Trade Impact of European Measures on GMOs Condemned by the WTO Panel,"
2009-16, CEPII research center.
- Anne-Célia Disdier & Lionel Fontagné, 2010. "Trade impact of European measures on GMOs condemned by the WTO panel," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 146(3), pages 495-514, September.
- Disdier, Anne-Celia & Fontagne, Lionel, 2008. "Trade Impact of European Measures on GMOs Condemned by the WTO Panel," 2008 International Congress, August 26-29, 2008, Ghent, Belgium 44392, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Anne-Célia Disdier & Lionel Fontagné & Mondher Mimouni, 2007.
"The Impact of Regulations on Agricultural Trade: Evidence from SPS and TBT Agreements,"
2007-04, CEPII research center.
- Disdier, Anne-Celia & Fontagne, Lionel & Mimouni, Mondher, 2007. "The Impact of Regulations on Agricultural Trade: Evidence from SPS and TBT Agreements," Working Papers 18869, TRADEAG - Agricultural Trade Agreements.
- Portugal-Perez, Alberto & Reyes, Jose-Daniel & Wilson, John S., 2009.
"Beyond the information technology agreement : harmonization of standards and trade in electronics,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
4916, The World Bank.
- Alberto Portugal‐Perez & José‐Daniel Reyes & John S. Wilson, 2010. "Beyond the Information Technology Agreement: Harmonisation of Standards and Trade in Electronics," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 33(12), pages 1870-1897, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cdi:wpaper:1130. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Vincent Mazenod)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.