Does Liberalisation cause more Electricity Blackouts? Evidence from a Global Study of Newspaper Reports
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Nagayama, Hiroaki, 2007. "Effects of regulatory reforms in the electricity supply industry on electricity prices in developing countries," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(6), pages 3440-3462, June.
- Richard Green & Arturo Lorenzoni & Yannick Pérez, 2009. "Policy Assessment and Good Practices," Chapters,in: Electricity Reform in Europe, chapter 7 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Paul L. Joskow, 2001. "California's Electricity Crisis," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 17(3), pages 365-388.
- Paul Joskow, 2003.
"Electricity Sector Restructuring and Competition: Lessons Learned,"
Latin American Journal of Economics-formerly Cuadernos de Economía,
Instituto de Economía. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile., vol. 40(121), pages 548-558.
- Paul L. Joskow, 2003. "Electricity Sector Restructuring And Competition - Lessons Learned," Working Papers 0314, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Center for Energy and Environmental Policy Research.
- John Cubbin & Jon Stern, 2006. "The Impact of Regulatory Governance and Privatization on Electricity Industry Generation Capacity in Developing Economies," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 20(1), pages 115-141.
- Xu, Shaofeng & Chen, Wenying, 2006. "The reform of electricity power sector in the PR of China," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(16), pages 2455-2465, November.
- Mennel, Tim & Viecens, Maria Fernanda, 2007. "Latin versus European Power: A Tale of Two Market Reforms," ZEW Discussion Papers 07-080, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Pollitt, Michael, 2008.
"Electricity reform in Argentina: Lessons for developing countries,"
Elsevier, vol. 30(4), pages 1536-1567, July.
- Pollitt, M.G., 2004. "‘Electricity Reform in Argentina: Lessons for Developing Countries’," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 0449, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Jamasb, T. & Mota, R. & Newbery, D. & Pollitt, M., 2004.
"‘Electricity Sector Reform in Developing Countries: A Survey of Empirical Evidence on Determinants and Performance’,"
Cambridge Working Papers in Economics
0439, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Jamasb, Tooraj & Mota, Raffaella & Newbery, David & Pollitt, Michael, 2005. "Electricity sector reform in developing countries : a survey of empirical evidence on determinants and performance," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3549, The World Bank.
- M. Pollitt, 2004.
"Electricity reform in Chile. Lessons for developing countries,"
Competition and Regulation in Network Industries,
Intersentia, vol. 5(3), pages 221-263, September.
- Michael Pollitt, 2004. "Electricity Reform in Chile Lessons for Developing Countries," Working Papers 0416, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Center for Energy and Environmental Policy Research.
- Pollitt, M.G., 2004. "Electricity Reform in Chile: Lessons for Developing Countries," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 0448, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Newbery, David M., 1997.
"Privatisation and liberalisation of network utilities,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 41(3-5), pages 357-383, April.
- Newbery, D., 1996. "Privatisation and Liberalisation of Network Utilities," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 9620, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Newbery, D., 2002. "Issues and Options for Restructuring Electricity Supply Industries," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 0210, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Frank A. Wolak, 2003. "Designing Competitive Wholesale Electricity Markets for Latin American Countries," Research Department Publications 1003, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Arango, Santiago & Dyner, Isaac & Larsen, Erik R., 2006. "Lessons from deregulation: Understanding electricity markets in South America," Utilities Policy, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 196-207, September.
- A. Michael Spence, 1975. "Monopoly, Quality, and Regulation," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 6(2), pages 417-429, Autumn.
- Fumagalli, Elena & Garrone, Paola & Grilli, Luca, 2007. "Service quality in the electricity industry: The role of privatization and managerial behavior," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(12), pages 6212-6224, December.
- Newbery, David M., 2002. "Problems of liberalising the electricity industry," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 46(4-5), pages 919-927, May.
- Jamasb, T., 2002. "Reform and Regulation of the Electricity Sectors in Developing Countries," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 0226, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Ronald Fischer & Alexander Galetovic, 2003.
"Regulatory governance and chile's 1998-1999 electricity shortage,"
Journal of Economic Policy Reform,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 6(2), pages 105-125.
- Ronald Fischer & Alexander Galetovic, 2000. "Regulatory Governance and Chile's 1998-1999 Electricity Shortage," Documentos de Trabajo 84, Centro de Economía Aplicada, Universidad de Chile.
- Jamasb, T. & Pollitt, M., 2004. "Electricity Market Reform in the European Union: Review of progress towards liberalisation and integration," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 0471, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Williams, J.H. & Ghanadan, R., 2006. "Electricity reform in developing and transition countries: A reappraisal," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 31(6), pages 815-844.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Anna Pechan, 2014. "Which Incentives Does Regulation Give to Adapt Network Infrastructure to Climate Change? - A German Case Study," Working Papers V-365-14, University of Oldenburg, Department of Economics, revised May 2014.
- Daisy Shen & Qing Yang, . "Electricity Market Regulatory Reform and Competition – Case Study of the New Zealand Electricity Market," Chapters, Economic Research Institute for ASEAN and East Asia (ERIA).
- Sylvia Gaylord & Kathleen J. Hancock, 2013. "Developing world: national energy strategies," Chapters,in: International Handbook of Energy Security, chapter 10, pages 206-236 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Karim L. Anaya & Michael G. Pollitt, 2014. "Does Weather Have an Impact on Electricity Distribution Efficiency? Evidence from South America," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 1424, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
More about this item
Keywordspower outage; electricity blackouts; liberalisation;
- L15 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Information and Product Quality
- L51 - Industrial Organization - - Regulation and Industrial Policy - - - Economics of Regulation
- L94 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Transportation and Utilities - - - Electric Utilities
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-03-14 (All new papers)
- NEP-EFF-2009-03-14 (Efficiency & Productivity)
- NEP-ENE-2009-03-14 (Energy Economics)
- NEP-SEA-2009-03-14 (South East Asia)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cam:camdae:0911. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jake Dyer). General contact details of provider: http://www.econ.cam.ac.uk/ .