The Temporal Efficiency of SO2 Emissions Trading
This paper provides an empirical evaluation of the temporal efficiency of the US Acid Rain Program, which implemented a nationwide market for trading and banking sulphur dioxide (SO2) emission allowances. We first develop a model of efficient banking and select appropriate parameter values. Then we use aggregate data from the first seven years of the Acid Rain Program to access the temporal efficiency of the observed banking behaviour. We find that banking has been surprisingly efficient and we discuss why this finding disagrees with the common perception of excessive banking in this program.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2002|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.econ.cam.ac.uk/index.htm|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rubin, Jonathan D., 1996. "A Model of Intertemporal Emission Trading, Banking, and Borrowing," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 269-286, November.
- Rubin Jonathan & Kling Catherine, 1993.
"An Emission Saved Is an Emission Earned: An Empirical Study of Emission Banking for Light-Duty Vehicle Manufacturers,"
Journal of Environmental Economics and Management,
Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 257-274, November.
- Rubin, Jonathan D. & Kling, Catherine, 1993. "An Emission Saved is an Emission Earned: An Empirical Study of Emission Banking for Light-Duty Vehicle Manufacturers," University of California Transportation Center, Working Papers qt3rb1472g, University of California Transportation Center.
- Cronshaw, Mark B & Brown-Kruse, Jamie, 1996. "Regulated Firms in Pollution Permit Markets with Banking," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 9(2), pages 179-89, March.
- Margaret E. Slade & Henry Thille, 1997. "Hotelling Confronts CAPM: A Test of the Theory of Exhaustible Resources," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 30(3), pages 685-708, August.
- Farrow, Scott, 1985. "Testing the Efficiency of Extraction from a Stock Resource," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 93(3), pages 452-87, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cam:camdae:0231. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Howard Cobb)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.