The Visible Hand: National Oil Companies, Oil Supply and the Ermergence of the Hotelling Rent
Using firm-level panel data, this paper exposes differences� in the dynamic oil produc- tion regime between private and state-owned firms. I find that state-owned firms reduce the oil supply, ceteris paribus, by 3.5 percent each year, but private firms hold output constant. Furthermore, state-owned firms have not followed� such stringent policy before 1997. My ex- tension of the Hotelling-model attributes the behavior of state-owned firms to a scarcity� rent, whereas private firms produce at their constant capacity limit, owing to possible expropriation. The theory also indicates that state-owned firms will only switch to a Hotelling-regime� after a certain lag time, attributable to limited capacity.� The data further reveals that contractions in the supply of state-owned oil lead to oil price increases, indicating� that state-owned firms do, in fact, generate a scarcity rent. My results therefore suggest that the shift from private towards state-owned oil dominance in the 1970s gave rise to a delayed increasing oil price path.
|Date of creation:|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://wwz.unibas.ch
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Eduardo Engel & Ronald Fischer, 2008.
"Optimal resource extraction contracts under threat of expropriation,"
Documentos de Trabajo
244, Centro de Economía Aplicada, Universidad de Chile.
- Eduardo Engel & Ronald Fischer, 2008. "Optimal Resource Extraction Contracts under Threat of Expropriation," Levine's Bibliography 122247000000001833, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Eduardo Engel & Ronald Fischer, 2008. "Optimal Resource Extraction Contracts Under Threat of Expropriation," Working Papers 960, Economic Growth Center, Yale University.
- Eduardo Engel & Ronald Fischer, 2008. "Optimal Resource Extraction Contracts Under Threat of Expropriation," NBER Working Papers 13742, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Engel, Eduardo & Fischer, Ronald, 2008. "Optimal Resource Extraction Contracts under Threat of Expropriation," Working Papers 34, Yale University, Department of Economics.
- Eduardo Engel & Ronald Fischer, 2008. "Optimal Resource Extraction Contracts under Threat of Expropriation," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1636, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- John Livernois & Henry Thille & Xianqiang Zhang, 2006.
"A test of the Hotelling rule using old-growth timber data,"
Canadian Journal of Economics,
Canadian Economics Association, vol. 39(1), pages 163-186, February.
- Livernois, J. & Thille, H. & Zhang, X., 2003. "A Test of the Hotelling Rule Using Old-Growth Timber Data," Working Papers 2003-4, University of Guelph, Department of Economics and Finance.
- Berck, Peter & Roberts, Michael, 1996. "Natural Resource Prices: Will They Ever Turn Up?," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 65-78, July.
- Adelman, M. A., 2002. "World oil production & prices 1947-2000," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 42(2), pages 169-191.
- James D. Hamilton, 2009.
"Causes and Consequences of the Oil Shock of 2007-08,"
NBER Working Papers
15002, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- James D. Hamilton, 2009. "Causes and Consequences of the Oil Shock of 2007-08," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 40(1 (Spring), pages 215-283.
- James D. Hamilton, 2010. "Causes and consequences of the oil shock of 2007–08," CQER Working Paper 2009-02, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- James D. Hamilton, 2008.
"Understanding Crude Oil Prices,"
NBER Working Papers
14492, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1976. "Monopoly and the Rate of Extraction of Exhaustible Resources," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 66(4), pages 655-61, September.
- Long, Ngo Van, 1975. "Resource extraction under the uncertainty about possible nationalization," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 42-53, February.
- Chen, K.C. & Chen, Shaoling & Wu, Lifan, 2009. "Price causal relations between China and the world oil markets," Global Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 107-118.
- Junsoo Lee & John A. List & Mark C. Strazicich, 2005.
"Nonrenewable Resource Prices: Deterministic or Stochastic Trends?,"
05-20, Department of Economics, Appalachian State University.
- Lee, Junsoo & List, John A. & Strazicich, Mark C., 2006. "Non-renewable resource prices: Deterministic or stochastic trends?," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 51(3), pages 354-370, May.
- Junsoo Lee & John A. List & Mark Strazicich, 2005. "Nonrenewable Resource Prices: Deterministic or Stochastic Trends?," NBER Working Papers 11487, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lee, Kiseok & Ni, Shawn, 2002. "On the dynamic effects of oil price shocks: a study using industry level data," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(4), pages 823-852, May.
- John Livernois, 2009. "On the Empirical Significance of the Hotelling Rule," Review of Environmental Economics and Policy, Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 3(1), pages 22-41, Winter.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:3:y:2006:i:14:p:1-12 is not listed on IDEAS
- Jamie Emerson & Chihwa Kao, 2006. "Testing for structural change in panel data: GDP growth, consumption growth, and productivity growth," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 3(14), pages 1-12.
- Wolf, Christian, 2009. "Does ownership matter? The performance and efficiency of State Oil vs. Private Oil (1987-2006)," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(7), pages 2642-2652, July.
- Slade, Margaret E., 1982. "Trends in natural-resource commodity prices: An analysis of the time domain," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 122-137, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bsl:wpaper:2012/11. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (WWZ)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.