Antidumping and Market Competition: Implications for Emerging Economies
While the original justification of the antidumping laws in the industrial economies was to protect domestic consumers against predation by foreign suppliers, by the early 1990s the laws and their use had evolved so much that the opposite concern arose. Rather than attacking anti-competitive behavior, dumping complaints by domestic firms were being used to facilitate collusion among suppliers and enforce cartel arrangements. This paper examines the predation and anti-competitiveness issues from the perspective of the “new users” of antidumping—the major emerging economies for which antidumping is now a major tool in the trade policy arsenal. We examine these concerns in light of important ways in which the world economy and international trading system have been changing since the early 1990s, including more firms and more countries participating in international trade, but also more extensive links among suppliers and consumers through multinational firm activity and vertical specialization.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: MS032, P.O. Box 9110, Waltham, MA 02454-9110|
Web page: http://www.brandeis.edu/departments/economics/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Patrick A. Messerlin, 1990. "Anti-Dumping Regulations or Pro-Cartel Law? The EC Chemical Cases," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 13(4), pages 465-492, December.
- Maurizio Zanardi & Michael Owen Moore, 2008.
"Does Antidumping Use Contribute to Trade Liberalization in Developing Countries?,"
2008-01, The George Washington University, Institute for International Economic Policy.
- Michael O. Moore & Maurizio Zanardi, 2009. "Does antidumping use contribute to trade liberalization in developing countries?," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 42(2), pages 469-495, May.
- Douglas R. Nelson & Hylke Vandenbussche (ed.), 2005. "The WTO and Anti-Dumping," Books, Edward Elgar Publishing, volume 0, number 3275.
- Bown, Chad P. & Crowley, Meredith A., 2010.
"Self-enforcing trade agreements : evidence from time-varying trade policy,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
5223, The World Bank.
- Chad P. Bown & Meredith A. Crowley, 2013. "Self-Enforcing Trade Agreements: Evidence from Time-Varying Trade Policy," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 103(2), pages 1071-90, April.
- Douglas A. Irwin, 2005.
"The Rise of US Anti-dumping Activity in Historical Perspective,"
The World Economy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 28(5), pages 651-668, 05.
- Douglas A. Irwin, 2005. "The Rise of U.S. Antidumping Activity in Historical Perspective," IMF Working Papers 05/31, International Monetary Fund.
- Chad P. Bown, 2011. "The Great Recession and Import Protection : The Role of Temporary Trade Barriers," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 16359, June.
- Taylor, Christopher T., 2004. "The economic effects of withdrawn antidumping investigations: is there evidence of collusive settlements?," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 62(2), pages 295-312, March.
- Michael Moore, 2015. "Sanctuary markets and antidumping: an empirical analysis of U.S. exporters," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer;Institut für Weltwirtschaft (Kiel Institute for the World Economy), vol. 151(2), pages 309-328, May.
- Jaime De Melo & Patrick Messerlin, 1988.
"Effects of European VERs on Japanese Autos,"
- Hummels, David & Ishii, Jun & Yi, Kei-Mu, 2001.
"The nature and growth of vertical specialization in world trade,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 54(1), pages 75-96, June.
- David L. Hummels & Jun Ishii & Kei-Mu Yi, 1999. "The nature and growth of vertical specialization in world trade," Staff Reports 72, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Thomas Prusa & Susan Skeath, 2002.
"The economic and strategic motives for antidumping filings,"
Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv),
Springer;Institut für Weltwirtschaft (Kiel Institute for the World Economy), vol. 138(3), pages 389-413, September.
- Thomas J. Prusa & Susan Skeath, 2001. "The Economic and Strategic Motives for Antidumping Filings," NBER Working Papers 8424, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dean, Judith M. & Lovely, Mary E. & Mora, Jesse, 2009. "Decomposing China-Japan-U.S. trade: Vertical specialization, ownership, and organizational form," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(6), pages 596-610, November.
- Robert Staiger & Frank Wolak, 1994.
"Measuring Industry Specific Protection: Antidumping in the United States,"
- Staiger, R.W. & Wolak, F.A., 1994. "Measuring Industry Specific Protection: Antidumpting in the United States," Working papers 9413, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- Robert W. Staiger & Frank A. Wolak, 1994. "Measuring Industry Specific Protection: Antidumping in the United States," NBER Working Papers 4696, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Durling, James P. & Prusa, Thomas J., 2003. "Using safeguard protection to raise domestic rivals' costs," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 47-68, January.
- Staiger, Robert W. & Wolak, Frank A., 1992.
"The effect of domestic antidumping law in the presence of foreign monopoly,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 32(3-4), pages 265-287, May.
- Robert W. Staiger & Frank A. Wolak, 1990. "The Effect of Domestic Antidumping Law in the Presence of Foreign Monopoly," NBER Working Papers 3254, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hylke Vandenbussche & Maurizio Zanardi, 2010.
"The chilling trade effects of antidumping proliferation,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/136355, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Vandenbussche, Hylke & Zanardi, Maurizio, 2010. "The chilling trade effects of antidumping proliferation," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 54(6), pages 760-777, August.
- VANDENBUSSCHE, Hylke & ZANARDI, Maurizio, . "The chilling trade effects of antidumping proliferation," CORE Discussion Papers RP 2355, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Peter Egger & Douglas Nelson, .
"How Bad is Antidumping?: Evidence from Panel Data,"
07/17, University of Nottingham, GEP.
- Finger, J. Michael & Nogues, Julio J., 2008. "Safeguards and antidumping in Latin American trade liberalization," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4680, The World Bank.
- Blonigen, Bruce A. & Ohno, Yuka, 1998. "Endogenous protection, foreign direct investment and protection-building trade," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 46(2), pages 205-227, December.
- Melo, Jaime de & Messerlin, Patrick A., 1988. "Price, quality and welfare effects of European VERs on Japanese autos," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 32(7), pages 1527-1546, September.
- Meredith A. Crowley & Huasheng Song, 2015. "Policy Shocks and Stock Market Returns: Evidence from Chinese Solar Panels," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 1529, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Petros C. Mavroidis & Patrick A. Messerlin & Jasper M. Wauters, 2008. "The Law and Economics of Contingent Protection in the WTO," Books, Edward Elgar Publishing, number 12731.
- Claude Barfield, 2003. "High-Tech Protectionism," Books, American Enterprise Institute, number 52064, October.
- Bown, Chad P. & Tovar, Patricia, 2011. "Trade liberalization, antidumping, and safeguards: Evidence from India's tariff reform," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 96(1), pages 115-125, September.
- Krupp, Corinne M. & Skeath, Susan, 2002. "Evidence on the upstream and downstream impacts of antidumping cases," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 163-178, August.
- Bown, Chad P., 2010.
"Taking stock of antidumping, safeguards, and countervailingduties, 1990-2009,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
5436, The World Bank.
- Chad P. Bown, 2011. "Taking Stock of Antidumping, Safeguards and Countervailing Duties, 1990–2009," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 34(12), pages 1955-1998, December.
- Robert W. Staiger & Frank A. Wolak, 1989. "Strategic Use of Antidumping Law to Enforce Tacit International Collusion," NBER Working Papers 3016, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- repec:aei:rpbook:24565 is not listed on IDEAS
- Michael O. Moore, 2005. "VERs and Price Undertakings under the WTO," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 13(2), pages 298-310, 05.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:brd:wpaper:50. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Leslie Yancich)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.