Antidumping as a Development Issue
Antidumping policy was for many years an instrument employed almost exclusively by a small number of developed economies. Over the past 15 years, however, the use of this instrument of trade policy has spread to developing economies, and the overwhelming share of antidumping cases now involve developing countries either as petitioner or as target of these cases. This paper describes these trends in some detail and discusses some implications. A focus of the paper is the absence of discussion in the development economics literature on the topic despite the increasingly important role played by antidumping policy.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 11 (2011)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.degruyter.com|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.degruyter.com/view/j/gej|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bown, Chad P., 2005. "Global antidumping database version 1.0," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3737, The World Bank.
- Richard Kneller & C. W. Morgan & Sunti Kanchanahatakij, 2008. "Trade Liberalisation and Economic Growth," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 31(6), pages 701-719, 06.
- Irene Brambilla & Guido Porto & Alessandro Tarozzi, 2008.
"Adjusting to Trade Policy: Evidence from U.S. Antidumping Duties on Vietnamese Catfish,"
NBER Working Papers
14495, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Irene Brambilla & Guido Porto & Alessandro Tarozzi, 2012. "Adjusting to Trade Policy: Evidence from U.S. Antidumping Duties on Vietnamese Catfish," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 94(1), pages 304-319, February.
- Bown, Chad P. & Tovar, Patricia, 2011. "Trade liberalization, antidumping, and safeguards: Evidence from India's tariff reform," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 96(1), pages 115-125, September.
- Feinberg, Robert M. & Hirsch, Barry T., 1989. "Industry rent seeking and the filing of unfair trade complaints," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 7(3), pages 325-340.
- Chad P. Bown, 2008. "The Wto And Antidumping In Developing Countries," Economics and Politics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 20(2), pages 255-288, 06.
- Bruce A. Blonigen & Chad P. Bown, 2001.
"Antidumping and Retaliation Threats,"
NBER Working Papers
8576, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Michael O. Moore & Maurizio Zanardi, 2009.
"Does antidumping use contribute to trade liberalization in developing countries?,"
Canadian Journal of Economics,
Canadian Economics Association, vol. 42(2), pages 469-495, May.
- Maurizio Zanardi & Michael Owen Moore, 2008. "Does Antidumping Use Contribute to Trade Liberalization in Developing Countries?," Working Papers 2008-01, The George Washington University, Institute for International Economic Policy.
- Konings, Jozef & Vandenbussche, Hylke, 2008.
"Heterogeneous responses of firms to trade protection,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 76(2), pages 371-383, December.
- Konings, Jozef & Vandenbussche, Hylke, 2008. "Heterogeneous Responses of Firms to Trade Protection," CEPR Discussion Papers 6724, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Robert M. Feinberg & Kara M. Reynolds, 2007.
"Tariff Liberalisation and Increased Administrative Protection: Is There a Quid Pro Quo?,"
The World Economy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 30(6), pages 948-961, 06.
- Robert M. Feinberg & Kara M. Olson, 2005. "Tariff Liberalization and Increased Administrative Protection: Is There a Quid Pro Quo?," International Trade 0501001, EconWPA.
- Hylke Vandenbussche & Maurizio Zanardi, 2010.
"The chilling trade effects of antidumping proliferation,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/136355, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Vandenbussche, Hylke & Zanardi, Maurizio, 2010. "The chilling trade effects of antidumping proliferation," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 54(6), pages 760-777, August.
- VANDENBUSSCHE, Hylke & ZANARDI, Maurizio, . "The chilling trade effects of antidumping proliferation," CORE Discussion Papers RP 2355, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Maurizio Zanardi, 2006.
"Antidumping: a problem in international trade,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/9821, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- L. Alan Winters & Neil McCulloch & Andrew McKay, 2004. "Trade Liberalization and Poverty: The Evidence So Far," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 42(1), pages 72-115, March.
- Finger, J. Michael & Nogues, Julio J., 2008. "Safeguards and antidumping in Latin American trade liberalization," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4680, The World Bank.
- Chad P. Bown, 2004. "Developing Countries as Plaintiffs and Defendants in GATT/WTO Trade Disputes," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 27(1), pages 59-80, 01.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bpj:glecon:v:11:y:2011:i:3:n:2. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peter Golla)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.