Did the entry of low cost companies foster the growth of strategic alliances in the airline industry?
We adopt a vertical differentiation model to study the effect of deregulation in the airline industry. In particular, we show that traditional carriers form international alliances on hub-and-spoke networks to compete against low cost companies, which successfully serve short haul routes at relatively cheap prices. The alliance is profitable if the gain in terms of economies of density is sufficiently high and consumers’ utility is not significantly decreased by the indirect connection. Social welfare is also evaluated: we find interval regions where the alliance is welfare enhancing, even if it is not convenient for existing flag carriers.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
|Date of creation:||Sep 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +39 051 209 8019 and 2600
Fax: +39 051 209 8040 and 2664
Web page: http://www.dse.unibo.it
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Barla, Philippe & Constantatos, Christos, 2005.
"On the Choice between Strategic Alliance and Merger in the Airline Sector: the Role of Strategic Effects,"
Cahiers de recherche
0502, Université Laval - Département d'économique.
- Philippe Barla & Christos Constantatos, 2006. "On The Choice between Strategic Alliance and Merger in the Airline Sector: The Role of Strategic Effects," Journal of Transport Economics and Policy, London School of Economics and University of Bath, vol. 40(3), pages 409-424, September.
- Barla, Philippe & Constantatos, Christos, 2005. "On the Choice between Strategic Alliance and Merger in the Airline Sector: the Role of Strategic Effects," Cahiers de recherche 0502, GREEN.
- Franke, Markus, 2004. "Competition between network carriers and low-cost carriersâ€”retreat battle or breakthrough to a new level of efficiency?," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 15-21.
- Barla, Philippe & Constantatos, Christos, 2000. "Airline network structure under demand uncertainty," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 36(3), pages 173-180, September.
- Brueckner, Jan K & Whalen, W Tom, 2000. "The Price Effects of International Airline Alliances," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 43(2), pages 503-45, October.
- Oum, Tae Hoon & Park, Jong-Hun, 1997. "Airline alliances: current status, policy issues, and future directions," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 3(3), pages 133-144.
- Barla, Philippe & Constantatos, Christos, 2005. "Strategic interactions and airline network morphology under demand uncertainty," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 49(3), pages 703-716, April.
- Brueckner, Jan K. & Pels, Eric, 2005.
"European airline mergers, alliance consolidation, and consumer welfare,"
Journal of Air Transport Management,
Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 27-41.
- Jan K. Brueckner & Eric Pels, 2004. "European Airline Mergers, Alliance Consolidation, and Consumer Welfare," CESifo Working Paper Series 1154, CESifo Group Munich.
- Shaked, Avner & Sutton, John, 1982. "Relaxing Price Competition through Product Differentiation," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 49(1), pages 3-13, January.
- Jong-Hun Park & Anming Zhang, 2000. "An Empirical Analysis of Global Airline Alliances: Cases in North Atlantic Markets," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 16(4), pages 367-384, June.
- Jaskold Gabszewicz, J. & Thisse, J. -F., 1979.
"Price competition, quality and income disparities,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 340-359, June.
- Brueckner, Jan K., 2003. "The benefits of codesharing and antitrust immunity for international passengers, with an application to the Star alliance," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 83-89.
- Park, Jong-Hun & Zhang, Anming & Zhang, Yimin, 2001. "Analytical models of international alliances in the airline industry," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 35(9), pages 865-886, November.
- Charles Boguslaski & Harumi Ito & Darin Lee, 2004. "Entry Patterns in the Southwest Airlines Route System," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 25(3), pages 317-350, 08.
- Mussa, Michael & Rosen, Sherwin, 1978. "Monopoly and product quality," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 301-317, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bol:bodewp:574. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Luca Miselli)The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Luca Miselli to update the entry or send us the correct address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.