Did the entry of low cost companies foster the growth of strategic alliances in the airline industry?
In this paper we adopt a vertical differentiation model to study the effect of deregulation in the airline industry. In particular, we focus on the entry of low cost companies, which succeed in providing essential flight services at relatively cheap prices. We argue that the entry of very aggressive rivals pushed traditional carriers to react by forming strategic alliances and exploit economies of densities trough hub-and-spoke systems. We verify that a strategic alliance is profitable if the gain in terms of economies of density is sufficiently high and consumers’ utility is not significantly decreased by the indirect connection.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2006|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Piazza Scaravilli, 2, and Strada Maggiore, 45, 40125 Bologna|
Phone: +39 051 209 8019 and 2600
Fax: +39 051 209 8040 and 2664
Web page: http://www.dse.unibo.it
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jan K. Brueckner & Eric Pels, 2004.
"European Airline Mergers, Alliance Consolidation, and Consumer Welfare,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
1154, CESifo Group Munich.
- Brueckner, Jan K. & Pels, Eric, 2005. "European airline mergers, alliance consolidation, and consumer welfare," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 27-41.
- Mussa, Michael & Rosen, Sherwin, 1978. "Monopoly and product quality," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 301-317, August.
- Brueckner, Jan K & Whalen, W Tom, 2000. "The Price Effects of International Airline Alliances," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 43(2), pages 503-545, October.
- Jong-Hun Park & Anming Zhang, 2000. "An Empirical Analysis of Global Airline Alliances: Cases in North Atlantic Markets," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer;The Industrial Organization Society, vol. 16(4), pages 367-384, June.
- Barla, Philippe & Constantatos, Christos, 2000. "Airline network structure under demand uncertainty," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 36(3), pages 173-180, September.
- Park, Jong-Hun & Zhang, Anming & Zhang, Yimin, 2001. "Analytical models of international alliances in the airline industry," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 35(9), pages 865-886, November.
- Oum, Tae Hoon & Park, Jong-Hun, 1997. "Airline alliances: current status, policy issues, and future directions," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 3(3), pages 133-144.
- Barla, Philippe & Constantatos, Christos, 2005. "Strategic interactions and airline network morphology under demand uncertainty," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 49(3), pages 703-716, April.
- Philippe Barla & Christos Constantatos, 2006.
"On The Choice between Strategic Alliance and Merger in the Airline Sector: The Role of Strategic Effects,"
Journal of Transport Economics and Policy,
University of Bath, vol. 40(3), pages 409-424, September.
- Barla, Philippe & Constantatos, Christos, 2005. "On the Choice between Strategic Alliance and Merger in the Airline Sector: the Role of Strategic Effects," Cahiers de recherche 0502, GREEN.
- Barla, Philippe & Constantatos, Christos, 2005. "On the Choice between Strategic Alliance and Merger in the Airline Sector: the Role of Strategic Effects," Cahiers de recherche 0502, Université Laval - Département d'économique.
- Brueckner, Jan K., 2003. "The benefits of codesharing and antitrust immunity for international passengers, with an application to the Star alliance," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 83-89.
- Avner Shaked & John Sutton, 1982. "Relaxing Price Competition Through Product Differentiation," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 49(1), pages 3-13.
- Franke, Markus, 2004. "Competition between network carriers and low-cost carriersâ€”retreat battle or breakthrough to a new level of efficiency?," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 15-21.
- GABSZEWICZ, Jean J. & THISSE, Jacques-François, "undated".
"Price competition, quality and income disparities,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
370, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Charles Boguslaski & Harumi Ito & Darin Lee, 2004. "Entry Patterns in the Southwest Airlines Route System," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer;The Industrial Organization Society, vol. 25(3), pages 317-350, 08.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bol:bodewp:574. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.