Mobility of Students and Quality of Higher Education: An Empirical Analysis of the “Unified Brain Drain” Model
Globalization has led to a vast flow of migration of workers but also of students. The purpose of this paper is to analyze the migration of individuals encompassing decisions already at the level of education. We present a “unified brain” drain model that incorporates the decisions of an individual related to migration vis‐à‐vis both education and work. In the empirical part, this paper addresses international flows of migration within the Bologna Process and presents strong evidence of concentration of students in countries with high‐quality education.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Faculty of Social Sciences, Bar Ilan University 52900 Ramat-Gan|
Phone: Phone: +972-3-5318345
Web page: http://www.biu.ac.il/soc/ec
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Heaton, Christopher & Throsby, David, 1998. "Benefit-Cost Analysis of Foreign Student Flows from Developing Countries: The Case of Postgraduate Education," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 117-126, April.
- Frédéric Docquier & Hillel Rapoport, 2012.
"Globalization, Brain Drain, and Development,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 50(3), pages 681-730, September.
- Frederic Docquier & Hillel Rapoport, 2011. "Globalization, Brain Drain and Development," CID Working Papers 219, Center for International Development at Harvard University.
- Frédéric DOCQUIER & Hillel RAPOPORT, 2011. "Globalization, brain drain and development," Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales) 2011009, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Frédéric Docquier & Hillel Rapoport, 2011. "Globalization, Brain Drain and Development," Working Papers 2011-18, Bar-Ilan University, Department of Economics.
- Frederic Docquier & Hillel Rapoport, 2011. "Globalization, brain drain and development," CReAM Discussion Paper Series 1108, Centre for Research and Analysis of Migration (CReAM), Department of Economics, University College London.
- Docquier, Frédéric & Rapoport, Hillel, 2011. "Globalization, Brain Drain and Development," IZA Discussion Papers 5590, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Dominique M. Gross & Nicolas Schmitt, 2003. "The Role of Cultural Clustering in Attracting New Immigrants," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 43(2), pages 295-318.
- Donata Bessey, 2012. "International student migration to Germany," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 42(1), pages 345-361, February.
- Donata Bessey, 2007. "International Student Migration to Germany," Economics of Education Working Paper Series 0006, University of Zurich, Department of Business Administration (IBW).
- Panu Poutvaara, 2004. "Public Education in an Integrated Europe: Studying to Migrate and Teaching to Stay?," CESifo Working Paper Series 1369, CESifo Group Munich.
- Poutvaara, Panu, 2006. "Public Education in an Integrated Europe: Studying to Migrate and Teaching to Stay?," IZA Discussion Papers 2478, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Poutvaara, Panu, 2005. "Public education in an integrated Europe: Studying to migrate and teaching to stay?," ZEI Working Papers B 03-2005, University of Bonn, ZEI - Center for European Integration Studies.
- Bénassy, Jean-Pascal & Brezis, Elise S., 2013. "Brain drain and development traps," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 102(C), pages 15-22.
- Jean-Pascal Bénassy & Elise S. Brézis, 2012. "Brain Drain and Development Traps," Working Papers 2012-03, Bar-Ilan University, Department of Economics.
- Jean-Pascal Bénassy & Elise S. Brezis, 2013. "Brain drain and development traps," Post-Print halshs-01118567, HAL.
- Jean-Pascal Bénassy & Elise S. Brezis, 2013. "Brain drain and development traps," Post-Print halshs-00846515, HAL.
- Docquier, Frédéric, 2006. "Brain Drain and Inequality Across Nations," IZA Discussion Papers 2440, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Lucas, Robert Jr., 1988. "On the mechanics of economic development," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 3-42, July. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:biu:wpaper:2013-11. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Department of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.