Liquidity problems in the FX liquid market: Ask for the "BIL"
Even though the FX market is one of the most liquid financial market, it would be an error to consider that it is immune against any liquidity problem. This paper analyzes on a long sample (2000-2009), the all set of quotes and transactions in three main currency pairs (EURJPY, EURUSD, USDJPY) on the EBS platform. To characterize the FX market liquidity, we consider the spread, the traded volume, the number of transactions and the Amihud (2002) statistic for illiquidity. We also propose the computation of a new liquidity indicator, BIL, that solely relies on price series availability. The main benefit of such measure is to be easily calculated on almost any financial market as well as to have a clear interpretation in terms of liquidity costs. Using all these advanced liquidity analyses, we finally test the accuracy of these measures to detect liquidity problems in the FX market. Our analysis, based on a signaling approach, shows that liquidity problems have arisen during specific episodes in the early 2000's and more generally during the recent financial turmoil.
|Date of creation:||2010|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Banque de France 31 Rue Croix des Petits Champs LABOLOG - 49-1404 75049 PARIS|
Web page: http://www.banque-france.fr/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Martin D.D. Evans & Richard K. Lyons, 1999.
"Order Flow and Exchange Rate Dynamics,"
NBER Working Papers
7317, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Martin D. D. Evans and Richard K. Lyons., 1999. "Order Flow and Exchange Rate Dynamics," Research Program in Finance Working Papers RPF-288, University of California at Berkeley.
- Evans, Martin D. & Lyons, Richard K., 1999. "Order Flow and Exchange Rate Dynamics," Research Program in Finance, Working Paper Series qt0dh1c16w, Research Program in Finance, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Acharya, Viral V. & Pedersen, Lasse Heje, 2005.
"Asset pricing with liquidity risk,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 77(2), pages 375-410, August.
- Acharya, Viral V & Pedersen, Lasse Heje, 2003. "Asset Pricing with Liquidity Risk," CEPR Discussion Papers 3749, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Acharya, Viral V & Pedersen, Lasse Heje, 2004. "Asset Pricing with Liquidity Risk," CEPR Discussion Papers 4718, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Viral V. Acharya & Lasse Heje Pedersen, 2004. "Asset Pricing with Liquidity Risk," NBER Working Papers 10814, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gabriele Galati & Alexandra Heath, 2007. "What drives the growth in FX activity? Interpreting the 2007 triennial survey," BIS Quarterly Review, Bank for International Settlements, December.
- Michael J. Fleming, 2001.
"Measuring treasury market liquidity,"
133, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Melvin, Michael & Taylor, Mark P., 2009.
"The crisis in the foreign exchange market,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 28(8), pages 1317-1330, December.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Kaminsky, Graciela & Lizondo, Saul, 1998.
"Leading Indicators of Currency Crises,"
6981, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Takatoshi Ito & Yuko Hashimoto, 2006.
"Intra-Day Seasonality in Activities of the Foreign Exchange Markets: Evidence From the Electronic Broking System,"
NBER Working Papers
12413, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ito, Takatoshi & Hashimoto, Yuko, 2006. "Intraday seasonality in activities of the foreign exchange markets: Evidence from the electronic broking system," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 637-664, December.
- Takatoshi Ito & Yuko Hashimoto, 2006. "Intra-day Seasonality in Activities of the Foreign Exchange Markets: Evidence from the Electronic Broking System," CIRJE F-Series CIRJE-F-407, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo.
- Michael Melvin & Bettina Peiers Melvin, 2003. "The Global Transmission of Volatility in the Foreign Exchange Market," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 85(3), pages 670-679, August.
- Grossman, S.J. & Miller, M.H., 1988.
"Liquidity And Market Structure,"
88, Princeton, Department of Economics - Financial Research Center.
- Sadka, Ronnie, 2006. "Momentum and post-earnings-announcement drift anomalies: The role of liquidity risk," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 80(2), pages 309-349, May.
- David W. Berger & Alain P. Chaboud & Sergey V. Chernenko & Edward Howorka & Jonathan H. Wright, 2006.
"Order flow and exchange rate dynamics in electronic brokerage system data,"
International Finance Discussion Papers
830, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Berger, David W. & Chaboud, Alain P. & Chernenko, Sergey V. & Howorka, Edward & Wright, Jonathan H., 2008. "Order flow and exchange rate dynamics in electronic brokerage system data," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 75(1), pages 93-109, May.
- William Barker, 2007. "The Global Foreign Exchange Market: Growth and Transformation," Bank of Canada Review, Bank of Canada, vol. 2007(Autumn), pages 4-13.
- Aitken, Michael & Comerton-Forde, Carole, 2003. "How should liquidity be measured?," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 45-59, January.
- Goyenko, Ruslan Y. & Holden, Craig W. & Trzcinka, Charles A., 2009. "Do liquidity measures measure liquidity?," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 92(2), pages 153-181, May.
- Roberto Rigobon, 2003. "Identification Through Heteroskedasticity," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 85(4), pages 777-792, November.
- Engle, Robert F. & Lange, Joe, 2001. "Predicting VNET: A model of the dynamics of market depth," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 4(2), pages 113-142, April.
- Cai, Fang & Howorka, Edward & Wongswan, Jon, 2008. "Informational linkages across trading regions: Evidence from foreign exchange markets," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(8), pages 1215-1243, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bfr:banfra:279. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael brassart)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.