On bank credit risk: systemic or bank-specific? Evidence from the US and UK
We develop a multivariate credit risk model that accounts for joint defaults of banks and al-lows us to disentangle how much of banks' credit risk is systemic. We find that the US and UK dif-fer not only in the evolution of systemic risk, but in particular in their banks' systemic exposures. In both countries, however, systemic credit risk varies substantially, represents about half of total bank credit risk on average, and induces high risk premia. Further, the results suggest that sovereign and bank systemic risk are particularly interlinked in the UK.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2014|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Via Nazionale, 91 - 00184 Roma|
Web page: http://www.bancaditalia.it
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Andrew Ang & Sen Dong & Monika Piazzesi, 2007.
"No-Arbitrage Taylor Rules,"
NBER Working Papers
13448, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Stefano Giglio & Bryan T. Kelly & Seth Pruitt, 2015.
"Systemic Risk and the Macroeconomy: An Empirical Evaluation,"
NBER Working Papers
20963, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Giglio, Stefano & Kelly, Bryan & Pruitt, Seth, 2016. "Systemic risk and the macroeconomy: An empirical evaluation," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 119(3), pages 457-471.
- Robert F. Dittmar, 2008. "Do Sovereign Bonds Benefit Corporate Bonds in Emerging Markets?," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 21(5), pages 1983-2014, September.
- Gianni De Nicolò & Marcella Lucchetta, 2011.
"Systemic Risks and the Macroeconomy,"
NBER Working Papers
16998, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Duffie, Darrell & Singleton, Kenneth J, 1999. "Modeling Term Structures of Defaultable Bonds," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 12(4), pages 687-720.
- Grace Xing Hu & Jun Pan & Jiang Wang, 2013.
"Noise as Information for Illiquidity,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 68(6), pages 2341-2382, December.
- Zhiguo He & Arvind Krishnamurthy, 2013. "Intermediary Asset Pricing," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 103(2), pages 732-70, April.
- Monica Billio & Mila Getmansky & Andrew W. Lo & Loriana Pelizzon, 2011.
"Econometric Measures of Connectedness and Systemic Risk in the Finance and Insurance Sectors,"
2011_21, Department of Economics, University of Venice "Ca' Foscari".
- Billio, Monica & Getmansky, Mila & Lo, Andrew W. & Pelizzon, Loriana, 2012. "Econometric measures of connectedness and systemic risk in the finance and insurance sectors," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 104(3), pages 535-559.
- Xin Huang & Hao Zhou & Haibin Zhu, 2009.
"A Framework for Assessing the Systemic Risk of Major Financial Institutions,"
BIS Working Papers
281, Bank for International Settlements.
- Huang, Xin & Zhou, Hao & Zhu, Haibin, 2009. "A framework for assessing the systemic risk of major financial institutions," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(11), pages 2036-2049, November.
- Xin Huang & Hao Zhou & Haibin Zhu, 2009. "A framework for assessing the systemic risk of major financial institutions," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2009-37, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Michael D. Bauer & Glenn D. Rudebusch & Jing Cynthia Wu, 2012. "Correcting Estimation Bias in Dynamic Term Structure Models," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 30(3), pages 454-467, April.
- Jorge A Chan-Lau & Toni Gravelle, 2005. "The END; A New Indicator of Financial and Nonfinancial Corporate Sector Vulnerability," IMF Working Papers 05/231, International Monetary Fund.
- Kay Giesecke & Baeho Kim, 2011. "Systemic Risk: What Defaults Are Telling Us," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 57(8), pages 1387-1405, August.
- Feldhütter, Peter & Lando, David, 2008. "Decomposing swap spreads," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 88(2), pages 375-405, May.
- Peter Feldhütter & Mads Stenbo Nielsen, 2012. "Systematic and Idiosyncratic Default Risk in Synthetic Credit Markets," Journal of Financial Econometrics, Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 10(2), pages 292-324, 2012 05.
- Alter, Adrian & Schüler, Yves S., 2012.
"Credit spread interdependencies of European states and banks during the financial crisis,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 36(12), pages 3444-3468.
- Adrian Alter & Yves Stephan Schüler, 2011. "Credit Spead Interdependencies of European States and Banks during the Financial Crisis," Working Paper Series of the Department of Economics, University of Konstanz 2011-24, Department of Economics, University of Konstanz.
- Stefano Giglio, 2011. "Credit default swap spreads and systemic financial risk," Proceedings 1122, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Gregory R. Duffee, 2002. "Term Premia and Interest Rate Forecasts in Affine Models," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 57(1), pages 405-443, 02.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bdi:wptemi:td_951_14. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.