"Enemy of None but a Common Friend of All"? An International Perspective on the Lender-of-Last-Resort Function
The paper explores whether and how current lending-of-last-resort practices can be extended beyond national borders. It argues that what makes lending of last resort effective at the national level is a blend of resource availability, technical discretion, ex-ante supervision, and powers of enforcement. Accordingly, the importance of the distinction between illiquidity and insolvency and of penalty-rate financing is downplayed. Some peculiarities of the international environment make it difficult to replicate this structure, and this may explain why recent large-scale rescue packages have worked less than satisfactorily. However, private contingent credit facilities and IMF lending into arrears in the context of internationally-sanctioned, temporary moratoria on foreign debt, may offer some scope for effective, though limited in aims and resources, international liquidity support. To this purpose, amending the IMF Articles of Agreement appears indispensable, both to signal, contrary to the Bretton Woods design, the desirability of a high degree of capital mobility, and to facilitate the handling of temporary suspensions of foreign payments when such actions prove unavoidable.
|Date of creation:||Dec 1998|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.bancaditalia.it
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Frederic S. Mishkin, 1994.
"Preventing Financial Crises: An International Perspective,"
NBER Working Papers
4636, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mishkin, Frederic S, 1994. "Preventing Financial Crises: An International Perspective," The Manchester School of Economic & Social Studies, University of Manchester, vol. 62(0), pages 1-40, Suppl..
- Charles Goodhart, 1988. "The Evolution of Central Banks," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262570734, June.
- Guillermo A. Calvo & Leonardo Leiderman & Carmen M. Reinhart, 1996.
"Inflows of Capital to Developing Countries in the 1990s,"
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 10(2), pages 123-139, Spring.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Calvo, Guillermo & Leiderman, Leonardo, 1996. "Inflows of capital to developing countries in the 1990s," MPRA Paper 13707, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Leonardo Leiderman & Guillermo A. Calvo & Carmen Reinhart, 1994. "Inflows of Capital to Developing Countries in the 1990s: Causes and Effects," Research Department Publications 4002, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Goodhart, Charles & Schoenmaker, Dirk, 1995. "Should the Functions of Monetary Policy and Banking Supervision Be Separated?," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 47(4), pages 539-60, October.
- Eaton, J. & Fernandez, R., 1995.
37, Boston University - Department of Economics.
- Jonathan Eaton & Raquel Fernandez, 1995. "Sovereign Debt," NBER Working Papers 5131, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jonathan Eaton & Raquel Fernandez, 1995. "Sovereign Debt," Boston University - Institute for Economic Development 59, Boston University, Institute for Economic Development.
- Miller, M. & Zhang, L., 1997. "A Bankruptcy Procedure for Sovereign States," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 483, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Robert Litan & William Isaac & William Taylor, 1994. "Financial Regulation," NBER Chapters, in: American Economic Policy in the 1980s, pages 519-572 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Owen Evens & Peter J. Quirk, 1995. "Capital Account Convertibility; Review of Experience and Implications for IMF Policies," IMF Occasional Papers 131, International Monetary Fund.
- Dani Rodrik, 1995.
"Why is there Multilateral Lending?,"
NBER Working Papers
5160, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Riccardo De Bonis & Alessandro Giustiniani & Giorgio Gomel, 1999. "Crises and Bail Outs of Banks and Countries: Linkages, Analogies, and Differences," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 22(1), pages 55-86, 01.
- Hart, Oliver, 1995. "Firms, Contracts, and Financial Structure," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198288817, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bdi:wptemi:td_341_98. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.