Strengthening Financial Infrastructure - Deposit Insurance and Lending of Last Resort
- Morten Balling()
1) Deposit Insurance in Theory and Practice by Richard Dale. 2) Lending of Last Resort and Systemic Stability in the Eurozone by Christian de Boissieu and Franco Bruni. The first paper overviews theoretical arguments for and against deposit insurance, a system that can be aimed at consumer protection and/or at financial stability. But deposit protection, by reducing risk, can cause " moral hazard" , in particular in relations to institutions potentially "too-big-to-fail" . The US and Japanese experiences with deposit insurance are useful lessons for Europe as they demonstrate how badly can market participants be affected by moral hazard. The second paper discusses lending of last resort in the Eurozone. The authors support the ECB's view that this function must be confined to play a minor role and that it must be handled with 'constructive ambiguity'. However, they think explicit decisions and a clear division of responsi-bilities are needed to ensure that its role is really minor and that the ambiguity is in fact constructive. They call for euro-wide standards of supervision and for the establishment of a 'European Observatory of Systemic Risk'. They also recommend " prompt corrective action" with the authorities ready to close banks before they become insolvent, if they do not comply with their instructions to keep high capital ratios. Read together the two papers offer useful insights into the current debate about how to make the financial infrastructure of Europe more robust.
|This book is provided by SUERF - The European Money and Finance Forum in its series SUERF Studies with number 7 and published in 2000.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: SUERF c/o OeNB, Otto-Wagner-Platz 3, A-1090 Vienna, Austria|
Phone: +43/1/404 20 7216
Fax: +43/1/404 20 7298
Web page: http://www.suerf.org
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: SUERF c/o OeNB, Otto-Wagner-Platz 3, A-1090 Vienna, Austria|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Goodhart, Charles & Schoenmaker, Dirk, 1995. "Should the Functions of Monetary Policy and Banking Supervision Be Separated?," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 47(4), pages 539-560, October.
- Miller, Geoffrey P., 1996. "Is deposit insurance inevitable? Lessons from Argentina," International Review of Law and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 211-232, June.
- David Llewellyn, 1999. "The New Economics of Banking," Chapters in SUERF Studies, SUERF - The European Money and Finance Forum.
- Joe Peek & Eric S. Rosengren, 1996.
"Will legislated early intervention prevent the next banking crisis?,"
96-5, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston.
- Joe Peek & Eric S. Rosengren, 1996. "Will Legislated Early Intervention Prevent the Next Banking Crisis?," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 359, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Joseph Bisignano, 1998. "Towards an Understanding of the Changing Structure of Financial Intermediation: An Evolutionary Theory of Institutional Survival," Chapters in SUERF Studies, SUERF - The European Money and Finance Forum.
- Giovanni, Alberto, 1993. "Central banking in a monetary union: reflections on the proposed statute of the European Central Bank," Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(1), pages 191-230, June.
- Rolf Skog, 1997. "Does Sweden Need a Mandatory Bid Rule? A critical analysis," Chapters in SUERF Studies, SUERF - The European Money and Finance Forum.
- John Calverley & Sarah Hewin & Kevin Grice, 2000. "Emerging Stock Markets After the Crisis," Chapters in SUERF Studies, SUERF - The European Money and Finance Forum. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:erf:erfstu:7. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dragana Popovic)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.