A Survey of Institutional Frameworks for Financial Stability
The aim of this study is to get a better understanding of which financial stability responsibilities have been delegated to central banks (CBs), how these responsibilities are executed, and whether accountability arrangements are in place. For this purpose, a questionnaire was sent to all CBs in the OECD area. We find that there is no unambiguous definition of financial stability or systemic risk, and that, generally, the responsibility for financial stability is not explicitly formulated in laws. However, there seems to be a gradual trend towards clarifying the powers and functions of the CB. Moreover, there is considerable heterogeneity in the way CBs pursue the financial stability objective. Our results suggest that the accountability of the financial stability function of central banks is often poorly arranged.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2003|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Postbus 98, 1000 AB Amsterdam|
Web page: http://www.dnb.nl/en/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Marc Quintyn & Michael W. Taylor, 2003.
"Regulatory and Supervisory Independence and Financial Stability,"
CESifo Economic Studies,
CESifo, vol. 49(2), pages 259-294.
- Michael W Taylor & Marc G Quintyn, 2002. "Regulatory and Supervisory Independence and Financial Stability," IMF Working Papers 02/46, .
- Hoggarth, Glenn & Reis, Ricardo & Saporta, Victoria, 2002.
"Costs of banking system instability: Some empirical evidence,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 26(5), pages 825-855, May.
- Glenn Hoggarth & Ricardo Reis & Victoria Saporta, 2001. "Costs of banking system instability: some empirical evidence," Bank of England working papers 144, Bank of England.
- Goodhart, Charles & Schoenmaker, Dirk, 1995. "Should the Functions of Monetary Policy and Banking Supervision Be Separated?," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 47(4), pages 539-560, October.
- Charles Goodhart, 2000. "The Organisational Structure of Banking Supervision," FMG Special Papers sp127, Financial Markets Group.
- Charles Goodhart, 1999. "Myths About the Lender of Last Resort," FMG Special Papers sp120, Financial Markets Group.
- de Bandt, Olivier & Hartmann, Philipp, 2000.
"Systemic Risk: A Survey,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2634, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Eijffinger, Sylvester & Haan, Jakob de, 2000.
"European Monetary and Fiscal Policy,"
Oxford University Press, number 9780198776161.
- Jakob de Haan & Sylvester C.W. Eijffinger, 2000. "The Democratic Accountability of the European Central Bank: A Comment on Two Fairy-tales," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 38(3), pages 393-407, 09.
- Edward J Frydl & Marc G Quintyn, 2000. "The Benefits and Costs of Intervening in Banking Crises," IMF Working Papers 00/147, .
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:dnb:dnbocs:104. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Rob Vet)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.