Will legislated early intervention prevent the next banking crisis?
A key provision of the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation Improvement Act of 1991 (FDICIA) was prompt corrective action (PCA). PCA emphasized early intervention by bank supervisors and was intended to limit forbearance by making supervisory intervention more timely and less discretionary. However, PCA legislation appears to have been oversold. Had PCA been in place during the recent banking crisis in New England, it would have had little, if any, effect. Relative to actions taken by supervisors, PCA provisions would not have imposed more severe restrictions on banks, intervened earlier, or intervened in problem banks that would otherwise have been missed.
|Date of creation:||1996|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Southern Economic Journal (July 1997): 268-80.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 600 Atlantic Avenue, Boston, Massachusetts 02210|
Web page: http://www.bos.frb.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Joe Peek & Eric S. Rosengren, 1996. "The use of capital ratios to trigger intervention in problem banks: too little, too late," New England Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston, issue Sep, pages 49-58.
- R. Alton Gilbert, 1991. "Supervision of undercapitalized banks: is there a case for change?," Proceedings 324, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Peek, Joe & Rosengren, Eric, 1995.
"Bank regulation and the credit crunch,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 19(3-4), pages 679-692, June.
- R. Alton Gilbert, 1991. "Supervision of undercapitalized banks: is there a case for change?," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue May, pages 16-30.
- Joe Peek & Eric S. Rosengren, 1995. "Banks and the availability of small business loans," Working Papers 95-1, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston.
- David S. Jones & Kathleen Kuester King, 1992. "The implementation of prompt corrective action," Proceedings 349, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Jones, David S. & King, Kathleen Kuester, 1995. "The implementation of prompt corrective action: An assessment," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(3-4), pages 491-510, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fip:fedbwp:96-5. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Catherine Spozio)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.