Trade in services: East Asian and Latin American Experiences
This paper investigates the trend and characteristics of trade in services in two fertile regions where different forms of trade integration have taken place: East Asia and Latin America. To that end, the World Bank data are utilized to categorize services trade in order to put on view the national and regional positions on dynamic sectors, and to compare East Asia and Latin America in terms of revealed comparative advantages, the weight of service activities in the regional economic activity, the share of services employment. The paper deals also with the issue of internationalization of services through FDI. Overall, it shows the increasing importance of East Asia as a trading region while the share of North & Latin America is low and declining over time.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- K. C. Fung & Hitomi Iizaka & Chelsea Lin & Francis Ng, 2004. "Multilateral Trade Negotiations in the GATT and the WTO: Lessons for Asia," Asian Economic Papers, MIT Press, vol. 3(2), pages 79-96.
- Banga Rashmi, 2005. "Trade in Services: A Review," Global Economy Journal, De Gruyter, vol. 5(2), pages 1-24, June.
- K.C. Fung & Alan Siu, 2008. "Political Economy Of Service Trade Liberalization And The Doha Round," Pacific Economic Review, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 13(1), pages 124-133, 02.
- Nathalie Aminian & K. Fung & Francis Ng, 2009. "A comparative analysis of trade and economic integration in East Asia and Latin America," Economic Change and Restructuring, Springer, vol. 42(1), pages 105-137, May.
- Damien Broussolle, 2006. "The New Approach To International Trade In Services In View Of Services Specificities: Economic And Regulation Issues," Working Papers of LaRGE Research Center 2006-05, Laboratoire de Recherche en Gestion et Economie (LaRGE), Université de Strasbourg.
- Philippa Dee & Kevin Hanslow, 2002. "Multilateral liberalisation of services trade," International Trade 0207002, EconWPA.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bbv:wpaper:1204. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (OSCAR DE LAS PENAS SANCHEZ-CARO)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.