Single-Name Credit Risk, Portfolio Risk, and Credit Rationing
This paper introduces non-diversifiable risk in the Stiglitz-Weiss adverse selection model, so that an increase in the average riskiness of the borrower pool causes higher portfolio risk. This opens up the possibility of equilibrium credit rationing. Comparative statics analysis shows that an increase in risk aversion turns a two-price equilibrium into a rationing equilibrium. A two-price equilibrium is more inefficient than a rationing equilibrium, and a usury law that rules out the higher of the two interest rates can be welfare-improving. Contrary to the common result, the equilibrium may be characterized by over-investment.
|Date of creation:||2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Universitäts-Str. 31, D-93040 Regensburg|
Phone: +49 941 943-2392
Fax: +49 941 943-4752
Web page: http://www-wiwi.uni-regensburg.de/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Coco, G., 1998.
"On the Use of Collateral,"
9805, Exeter University, Department of Economics.
- David de Meza & David C. Webb, 1987. "Too Much Investment: A Problem of Asymmetric Information," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 102(2), pages 281-292.
- David De Meza & David C. Webb, 2006. "Credit Rationing: Something's Gotta Give," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 73(292), pages 563-578, November.
- Coco, G., 1997. "Credit Rationing and the Welfare Gain from Usury Laws," Discussion Papers 9715, Exeter University, Department of Economics.
- Lensink, Robert & Sterken, Elmer, 2002. "The Option to Wait to Invest and Equilibrium Credit Rationing," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 34(1), pages 221-25, February.
- David De Meza & Giuseppe Coco, 2001.
"In Defence of Usury Laws,"
FMG Discussion Papers
dp369, Financial Markets Group.
- Lutz G. Arnold & John G. Riley, 2009.
"On the Possibility of Credit Rationing in the Stiglitz-Weiss Model,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 99(5), pages 2012-21, December.
- Arnold, Lutz G., 2005. "On the Possibility of Credit Rationing in the Stiglitz-Weiss Model," University of Regensburg Working Papers in Business, Economics and Management Information Systems 403, University of Regensburg, Department of Economics.
- Machin, Stephen & Van Reenen, John, 1993. "Profit Margins and the Business Cycle: Evidence from UK Manufacturing Firms," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41(1), pages 29-50, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bay:rdwiwi:17365. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gernot Deinzer)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.