Spectral Risk Measures with an Application to Futures Clearinghouse Variation Margin Requirements
This paper applies an AR(1)-GARCH (1, 1) process to detail the conditional distributions of the return distributions for the S&P500, FT100, DAX, Hang Seng, and Nikkei225 futures contracts. It then uses the conditional distribution for these contracts to estimate spectral risk measures, which are coherent risk measures that reflect a user's risk-aversion function. It compares these to more familiar VaR and Expected Shortfall (ES) measures of risk, and also compares the precision and discusses the relative usefulness of each of these risk measures in setting variation margins that incorporate time-varying market conditions. The goodness of fit of the model is confirmed by a variety of backtests.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- John Cotter & Kevin Dowd, 2011.
"Extreme Spectral Risk Measures: An Application to Futures Clearinghouse Margin Requirements,"
- Cotter, John & Dowd, Kevin, 2006. "Extreme spectral risk measures: An application to futures clearinghouse margin requirements," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(12), pages 3469-3485, December.
- John Cotter & Kevin Dowd, 2011. "Extreme Spectral Risk Measures: An Application to Futures Clearinghouse Margin Requirements," Working Papers 200516, Geary Institute, University College Dublin.
- Cotter, JOhn & Dowd, Kevin, 2006. "Extreme Spectral Risk Measures: An Application to Futures Clearinghouse Margin Requirements," MPRA Paper 3505, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Cotter, John, 2004.
"Varying the VaR for Unconditional and Conditional Environments,"
3483, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Cotter, John, 2007. "Varying the VaR for unconditional and conditional environments," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(8), pages 1338-1354, December.
- John Cotter, 2011. "Varying the VaR for Unconditional and Conditional Environments," Papers 1103.5649, arXiv.org.
- John Cotter, 2011. "Varying the VaR for Unconditional and Conditional Environments," Working Papers 200419, Geary Institute, University College Dublin.
- Cotter, John, 2000.
"Margin Exceedences for European Stock Index Futures using Extreme Value Theory,"
3534, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 2001.
- Cotter, John, 2001. "Margin exceedences for European stock index futures using extreme value theory," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(8), pages 1475-1502, August.
- Philippe Artzner & Freddy Delbaen & Jean-Marc Eber & David Heath, 1999. "Coherent Measures of Risk," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(3), pages 203-228.
- Bates, David & Craine, Roger, 1999. "Valuing the Futures Market Clearinghouse's Default Exposure during the 1987 Crash," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 31(2), pages 248-72, May.
- Bollerslev, Tim & Chou, Ray Y. & Kroner, Kenneth F., 1992. "ARCH modeling in finance : A review of the theory and empirical evidence," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 52(1-2), pages 5-59.
- Diebold, Francis X & Gunther, Todd A & Tay, Anthony S, 1998. "Evaluating Density Forecasts with Applications to Financial Risk Management," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 39(4), pages 863-83, November.
- Brennan, Michael J., 1986. "A theory of price limits in futures markets," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 213-233, June.
- Giannopoulos, Kostas & Tunaru, Radu, 2005. "Coherent risk measures under filtered historical simulation," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(4), pages 979-996, April.
- G. Geoffrey Booth & John Paul Broussard & Teppo Martikainen & Vesa Puttonen, 1997. "Prudent Margin Levels in the Finnish Stock Index Futures Market," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 43(8), pages 1177-1188, August.
- Acerbi, Carlo, 2002. "Spectral measures of risk: A coherent representation of subjective risk aversion," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(7), pages 1505-1518, July.
- Theodore E. Day, 2004. "Margin Adequacy and Standards: An Analysis of the Crude Oil Futures Market," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 77(1), pages 101-136, January.
- Fishburn, Peter C, 1977. "Mean-Risk Analysis with Risk Associated with Below-Target Returns," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 67(2), pages 116-26, March.
- Bertsimas, Dimitris & Lauprete, Geoffrey J. & Samarov, Alexander, 2004. "Shortfall as a risk measure: properties, optimization and applications," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 28(7), pages 1353-1381, April.
- Bawa, Vijay S., 1975. "Optimal rules for ordering uncertain prospects," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 2(1), pages 95-121, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:arx:papers:1103.5408. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (arXiv administrators)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.