Computational LPPL Fit to Financial Bubbles
The log-periodic power law (LPPL) is a model of asset prices during endogenous bubbles. If the on-going development of a bubble is suspected, asset prices can be fit numerically to the LPPL law. The best solutions can then indicate whether a bubble is in progress and, if so, the bubble critical time (i.e., when the bubble is expected to burst). Consequently, the LPPL model is useful only if the data can be fit to the model with algorithms that are accurate and computationally efficient. In this paper, we address primarily the computational efficiency and secondarily the precision of the LPPL non-linear least-square fit. Specifically, we present a parallel Levenberg-Marquardt algorithm (LMA) for LPPL least-square fit that sped up computation of more than a factor of four over a sequential LMA on historical and synthetic price series. Additionally, we isolate a linear sub-structure of the LPPL least-square fit that can be paired with an exact computation of the Jacobian, give new settings for the Levenberg-Marquardt damping factor, and describe a heuristic method to choose initial solutions.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Didier Sornette & Ryan Woodard & Maxim Fedorovsky & Stefan Reimann & Hilary Woodard & Wei-Xing Zhou, 2009. "The Financial Bubble Experiment: advanced diagnostics and forecasts of bubble terminations," Papers 0911.0454, arXiv.org, revised May 2010.
- Olivier Blanchard & Giovanni Dell'Ariccia & Paolo Mauro, 2010. "Rethinking Macroeconomic Policy," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 42(s1), pages 199-215, September.
- Zhi-Qiang Jiang & Wei-Xing Zhou & Didier Sornette & Ryan Woodard & Ken Bastiaensen & Peter Cauwels, 2009. "Bubble Diagnosis and Prediction of the 2005-2007 and 2008-2009 Chinese stock market bubbles," Papers 0909.1007, arXiv.org, revised Oct 2009.
- David S. Bree & Nathan Lael Joseph, 2010. "Fitting the Log Periodic Power Law to financial crashes: a critical analysis," Papers 1002.1010, arXiv.org, revised Apr 2013.
- Black, Fischer & Scholes, Myron S, 1973. "The Pricing of Options and Corporate Liabilities," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 637-654, May-June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:arx:papers:1003.2920. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (arXiv administrators)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.