Inducing Private Wildfire Risk Mitigation: Experimental Investigation of Measures on Adjacent Public Lands
Increasing private wildfire risk mitigation is an important part of the larger forest restoration policy challenge. Data from an economic experiment are used to evaluate the effectiveness of providing fuel treatments on public land adjacent to private land to induce private wildfire risk mitigation. Results show evidence of “crowding out” where public spending can decrease the level of private risk mitigation. However, a policy prescription that ameliorates this crowding out is identified. Participants undertake more mitigation when fuel treatments on publicly owned lands are conditional on a threshold level of private mitigation effort and information describing each participant’s spending is provided. Key Words:
|Date of creation:||2010|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Thelma C. Raley Hall, Boone, North Carolina 28608|
Web page: http://economics.appstate.edu/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- John Talberth & Robert P. Berrens & Michael Mckee & Michael Jones, 2006. "Averting And Insurance Decisions In The Wildland-Urban Interface: Implications Of Survey And Experimental Data For Wildfire Risk Reduction Policy," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 24(2), pages 203-223, 04.
- Christian S. L. Crowley & Arun S. Malik & Gregory S. Amacher & Robert G. Haight, 2009. "Adjacency Externalities and Forest Fire Prevention," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 85(1), pages 162-185.
- Dean S. Karlan, 2005. "Using Experimental Economics to Measure Social Capital And Predict Financial Decisions," Working Papers 909, Economic Growth Center, Yale University.
- Dean S. Karlan, 2005.
"Using Experimental Economics to Measure Social Capital and Predict Financial Decisions,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 95(5), pages 1688-1699, December.
- Dean Karlan, 2004. "Using experimental economics to measure social capital and predict financial decisions," Artefactual Field Experiments 00074, The Field Experiments Website.
- Charles A. Holt & Susan K. Laury, 2002. "Risk Aversion and Incentive Effects," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 92(5), pages 1644-1655, December.
- Gregory S. Amacher & Arun S. Malik & Robert G. Haight, 2006. "Reducing Social Losses from Forest Fires," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 82(3), pages 367-383.
- Gregory S. Amacher & Arun S. Malik & Robert G. Haight, 2005. "Not Getting Burned: The Importance of Fire Prevention in Forest Management," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 81(2).
- Dean S. Karlan, 2005. "Using Experimental Economics to Measure Social Capital and Predict Financial Decisions," Working Papers 182, Princeton University, Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs, Research Program in Development Studies..
- Masashi Konoshima & Claire A. Montgomery & Heidi J. Albers & Jeffrey L. Arthur, 2008. "Spatial-Endogenous Fire Risk and Efficient Fuel Management and Timber Harvest," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 84(3), pages 449-468.
- Konoshima, Masashi & Montgomery, Claire A. & Albers, Heidi J. & Arthur, Jeffrey L., 2007. "Spatial Endogenous Fire Risk and Efficient Fuel Management and Timber Harvest," 2007 Annual Meeting, July 29-August 1, 2007, Portland, Oregon TN 9700, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Ehrlich, Isaac & Becker, Gary S, 1972. "Market Insurance, Self-Insurance, and Self-Protection," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 80(4), pages 623-648, July-Aug..
- repec:pri:rpdevs:gamespaper is not listed on IDEAS
- Aric P. Shafran, 2010. "Interdependent security experiments," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 30(3), pages 1950-1962.
- Shafran, Aric P., 2008. "Risk externalities and the problem of wildfire risk," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 64(2), pages 488-495, September.
- repec:pri:rpdevs:gamespaper.pdf is not listed on IDEAS
- Busby, Gwenlyn M. & Albers, Heidi J. & Montgomery, Claire A., 2007. "Wildfire Risk Management on a Landscape with Public and Private Ownership: Who Pays?," 2007 Annual Meeting, July 29-August 1, 2007, Portland, Oregon TN 9734, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association). Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:apl:wpaper:10-10. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (O. Ashton Morgan)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.