Productivity Growth In World Agriculture: Sources And Constraints
There have been substantial increases in our understanding of the process of agricultural development over the last half century. Yet the productivity gap between developed and developing countries has not narrowed. In this paper I assess (a) the resource and environmental constraints and (b) the scientific and technical constraints that will confront the worlds farmers as they attempt to respond to the demands that will be placed on them over the next half century.
|Date of creation:||2002|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 231ClaOff Building, 1994 Buford Avenue, St. Paul, MN 55108-6040|
Phone: (612) 625-1222
Fax: (612) 625-6245
Web page: http://www.apec.umn.edu
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fulginiti, Lilyan E. & Perrin, Richard K., 1998.
"Agricultural productivity in developing countries,"
Blackwell, vol. 19(1-2), pages 45-51, September.
- Kawagoe, Toshihiko & Hayami, Yujiro & Ruttan, Vernon W., 1985. "The intercountry agricultural production function and productivity differences among countries," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(1-2), pages 113-132.
- Olmstead, Alan L. & Rhode, Paul W., 2001. "Reshaping The Landscape: The Impact And Diffusion Of The Tractor In American Agriculture, 1910 1960," The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 61(03), pages 663-698, September.
- Alston, Julian M. & Wyatt, T. J. & Pardey, Philip G. & Marra, Michele C. & Chan-Kang, Connie, 2000. "A meta-analysis of rates of return to agricultural R & D: ex pede Herculem?," Research reports 113, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Pardey, Philip G. & Beintema, Nienke M., 2002. "Slow Magic: Agricultural R&D A Century After Mendel," Working Papers 14364, University of Minnesota, Center for International Food and Agricultural Policy.
- Qi, Shunrong & Xu, Lan & Coggins, Jay S., 2001. "Integrated Environmental-Economic Accounting Of Gdp," 2001 Annual meeting, August 5-8, Chicago, IL 20582, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Peter H. Lindert, 2000. "Shifting Ground: The Changing Agricultural Soils of China and Indonesia," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262122278, June.
- Mendelsohn, Robert & Nordhaus, William D & Shaw, Daigee, 1994. "The Impact of Global Warming on Agriculture: A Ricardian Analysis," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 84(4), pages 753-71, September.
- Michael A Trueblood & Carlos Arnade, 2001. "Crop Yield Convergence: How Russia's Yield Performance Has Compared to Global Yield Leaders," Comparative Economic Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 43(2), pages 59-81, July.
- Murgai, Rinku, 2001. "The Green Revolution and the productivity paradox: evidence from the Indian Punjab," Agricultural Economics of Agricultural Economists, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 25(2-3), September.
- Barbara J. Craig & Philip G. Pardey & Johannes Roseboom, 1997. "International Productivity Patterns: Accounting for Input Quality, Infrastructure, and Research," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 79(4), pages 1064-1076.
- V. Ball & Jean-Christophe Bureau & Jean-Pierre Butault & Richard Nehring, 2001. "Levels of Farm Sector Productivity: An International Comparison," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 15(1), pages 5-29, January.
- repec:cup:jechis:v:61:y:2002:i:03:p:663-698_03 is not listed on IDEAS
- Olmstead, Alan L & Rhode, Paul, 1993. "Induced Innovation in American Agriculture: A Reconsideration," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 101(1), pages 100-118, February.
- Molden, D. & Amarasinghe, U. & Hussain, I., 2001. "Water for rural development: Background paper on water for rural development prepared for the World Bank," IWMI Working Papers H029260, International Water Management Institute.
- Hayami, Yujiro & Ruttan, Vernon W, 1970. "Agricultural Productivity Differences Among Countries," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 60(5), pages 895-911, December.
- D. Gale Johnson, 2000. "Population, Food, and Knowledge," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 90(1), pages 1-14, March.
- Murgai, Rinku, 2001. "The Green Revolution and the productivity paradox: evidence from the Indian Punjab," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 25(2-3), pages 199-209, September.
- Huffman, Wallace E. & Evenson, Robert E., 1993.
"Science for Agriculture: A Long Term Perspective,"
Staff General Research Papers
10997, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Lau, Lawrence J. & Yotopoulos, Pan A., 1989. "The meta-production function approach to technological change in world agriculture," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 241-269, October.
- Fulginiti, Lilyan E. & Perrin, Richard K., 1997.
"LDC agriculture: Nonparametric Malmquist productivity indexes,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 53(2), pages 373-390, August.
- Lilyan E. Fulginiti & Richard K. Perrin, 2005. "LDC Agriculture: Non-parametric Malmquist productivity indexes," Development and Comp Systems 0502025, EconWPA.
- Lawrence Haddad & Stuart Gillespie, 2001. "Effective food and nutrition policy responses to HIV|AIDS: what we know and what we need to know," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 13(4), pages 487-511.
- Shane, Mathew & Roe, Terry L. & Gopinath, Munisamy, 1998. "U.S. Agricultural Growth and Productivity: An Economywide Perspective," Agricultural Economics Reports 34047, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- John M. Brewster, 1950. "The Machine Process in Agriculture and Industry," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 32(1), pages 69-81.
- Rosegrant, Mark W. & Hazell, Peter B. R., 2001. "Transforming the rural Asian economy," 2020 vision briefs 69, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Alston, Julian M. & Pardey, Philip G. & Taylor, Michael J., 2001. "Agricultural science policy," Food policy statements 32, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- José Benjamin Falck-Zepeda & Greg Traxler & Robert G. Nelson, 2000. "Surplus Distribution from the Introduction of a Biotechnology Innovation," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 82(2), pages 360-369.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:umaesp:14176. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.