Minnesota Extension's Mixed Regional/County Model: Greater Impacts Follows Changes in Structure
The Cooperative Extension Service has as its mission helping the public use the research generated at land-grant universities. Since 1914, most states have used a county-based Extension model, with educators in every county and campus-based faculty supporting local educational efforts. This paper outlines why and how the Minnesota Extension Service has replaced this model with a mixed regional/county model, the major features of the new delivery model and the employment consequences of the shift as well as the non-financial advantages of the new model. The structural changes in Minnesota are of interest to Extension stakeholders in other states who are facing similar challenges and want to learn more about the benefits and costs of Minnesota's new model. Within Minnesota the public is beginning to ask a much more important question: What are the impacts of the programs being delivered? Structural change is only valuable if it results in increased programming and greater impacts than would have happened without the change. Although this paper starts to outline some of the changes in program impact, the bulk of that discussion will be reserved for later papers.
|Date of creation:||2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (612) 625-1222
Fax: (612) 625-6245
Web page: http://www.apec.umn.edu
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jones, Eugene & Batte, Marvin T. & Schnitkey, Gary D., 1990. "A Socioeconomic Analysis Of Marketing Information Usage Among Ohio Fruit Producers," Southern Journal of Agricultural Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 22(02), December.
- Stephen A. Ford & Emerson M. Babb, 1989. "Farmer sources and uses of information," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 5(5), pages 465-476.
- Kalambokidis, Laura, 2003.
"Identifying The Public Value In Extension Programs,"
13409, University of Minnesota, Department of Applied Economics.
- Kalambokidis, Laura, 2003. "Identifying The Public Value In Extension Programs," 2003 Annual meeting, July 27-30, Montreal, Canada 22005, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Richard C. Bishop & Michael P. Welsh, 1992. "Existence Values in Benefit-Cost Analysis and Damage Assessment," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 68(4), pages 405-417.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:umaesp:13614. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.