How Competitive Is The World Wheat Market?
Japan is one of the largest importers of wheat in the world, with imports originating from three countries, Australia, Canada, and the United States. Australia, Canada, and Japan all use a government single-desk agency to control wheat trade. Many previous studies on competition in the world grain trade have argued the market is imperfectly competitive, and they often point to the Japanese market. We study the Japanese wheat import market for this reason, but find no compelling evidence of imperfect competition.
|Date of creation:||1999|
|Contact details of provider:|| Phone: 530-752-1517|
Web page: http://www.agecon.ucdavis.edu/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Charles D. Kolstad & Anthony E. Burris, 1986. "Imperfectly Competitive Equilibria in International Commodity Markets," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 68(1), pages 27-36.
- Vuong, Quang H, 1989. "Likelihood Ratio Tests for Model Selection and Non-nested Hypotheses," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(2), pages 307-333, March.
- Bresnahan, Timothy F., 1989. "Empirical studies of industries with market power," Handbook of Industrial Organization, in: R. Schmalensee & R. Willig (ed.), Handbook of Industrial Organization, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 17, pages 1011-1057 Elsevier.
- Pinelopi K. Goldberg & Michael M. Knetter, 1995.
"Measuring the Intensity of Competition in Export Markets,"
NBER Working Papers
5226, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Goldberg, Pinelopi Koujianou & Knetter, Michael M., 1999. "Measuring the intensity of competition in export markets," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 27-60, February.
- H. Alan Love & Endah Murniningtyas, 1992. "Measuring the Degree of Market Power Exerted by Government Trade Agencies," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 74(3), pages 546-555.
- Baker, Jonathan B. & Bresnahan, Timothy F., 1988. "Estimating the residual demand curve facing a single firm," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 6(3), pages 283-300.
- Carter, Colin A & MacLaren, Donald, 1997. "Price or Quantity Competition? Oligopolistic Structures in International Commodity Markets," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 5(3), pages 373-385, August.
- Sampson, Gary P & Snape, Richard H, 1980. "Effects of the EEC's Variable Import Levies," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 88(5), pages 1026-1040, October.
- Karp, Larry S & Perloff, Jeffrey M, 1989. "Dynamic Oligopoly in the Rice Export Market," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 71(3), pages 462-470, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:ucdavw:11973. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.