Measuring The Market Power Of The U.S. Wheat Exporters In Asian Countries: An Issue About Adjustment Of Nominal Exchange Rate When Using As A Cost Shifter; The Competitiveness Of The U.S. Wheat Exporters In Asian Countries
The objective of this article is to measure the market power of U.S. grain exporters in the Asian countries. This study revisits the issue of the market power with the Goldberg and Knetter (1999) model, addressing an issue about using nominal exchange rate as a cost shifter. This study proposes an adjusted nominal exchange rate deflated by inflation rates of exporting countries and exchange rate risk as another possible risk shifter. The results of the preliminary estimation show that using the adjusted exchange rate provides better results. The results also show that U.S. wheat exporters have market power in Philippine, Korea, Malaysia, and Singapore, while no market power in Indonesia and Japan. Australia plays a significant role in constraining the market power of U.S. wheat exporters in the Asian market, suggesting that a proper economic model in the Asian country might be U.S.-Australia duopoly model.
|Date of creation:||2002|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.orgEmail:
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Baker, Jonathan B. & Bresnahan, Timothy F., 1988. "Estimating the residual demand curve facing a single firm," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 6(3), pages 283-300.
- Knetter, Michael M, 1989. "Price Discrimination by U.S. and German Exporters," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 79(1), pages 198-210, March.
- Giovannini, Alberto, 1988. "Exchange rates and traded goods prices," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(1-2), pages 45-68, February.
- Brander, James A. & Spencer, Barbara J., 1985.
"Export subsidies and international market share rivalry,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 18(1-2), pages 83-100, February.
- James A. Brander & Barbara J. Spencer, 1984. "Export Subsidies and International Market Share Rivalry," NBER Working Papers 1464, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sven W. Arndt & J. David Richardson, 1987. "Real-Financial Linkages Among Open Economies," NBER Working Papers 2230, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Carter, Colin A. & MacLaren, Donald & Yilmaz, Alper, 1999. "How Competitive Is The World Wheat Market?," Working Papers 11973, University of California, Davis, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
- Goldberg, Pinelopi Koujianou & Knetter, Michael M., 1999.
"Measuring the intensity of competition in export markets,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 27-60, February.
- Pinelopi K. Goldberg & Michael M. Knetter, 1995. "Measuring the Intensity of Competition in Export Markets," NBER Working Papers 5226, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aaea02:19885. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.