Market power and the pricing of commodities imported from developing countries: the case of US vanilla bean imports
A declining trend in the prices of vanilla beans reduce export earnings of developing country exporters. At the same time, currencies for these developing countries have depreciated. The 'new' trade theories suggest that market structure plays an important role in relating exchange rate devaluations to price declines. This paper investigates the market structure and estimates the impact of exchange rate movements on prices for vanilla beans imported by the USA from five producers of vanilla beans in developing countries. Unlike other studies, the estimation is based on a 'fixed-effects' econometric model derived from the importer's profit equation and the 'Pricing to Market' (PTM) hypothesis. Data are a pooled cross-section and time series covering the period 1967-1997. The results reveal some evidence that US importers of vanilla beans have the market power to apply price discrimination and to adjust import prices in reaction to exchange rate movement vis-a-vis exporters.© 2001 Elsevier Science B.V. All rights reserved.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Eduardo Borensztein & Carmen Reinhart, 1994.
"The Macroeconomic Determinants of Commodity Prices,"
IMF Working Papers
94/9, International Monetary Fund.
- Eduardo Borensztein & Carmen M. Reinhart, 1994. "The Macroeconomic Determinants of Commodity Prices," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 41(2), pages 236-261, June.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Borensztein, Eduardo, 1994. "The Macroeconomic Determinants of Commodity Prices," MPRA Paper 6979, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- de Melo, Jaime & Olarreaga, Marcelo & Takacs, Wendy, 2000.
"Pricing Policy under Double Market Power: Madagascar and the International Vanilla Market,"
Review of Development Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 4(1), pages 1-20, February.
- de Melo, Jaime & Olarreaga, Marcelo & Takacs, Wendy E, 1996. "Pricing Policy Under Double Market Power: Madagascar and the International Vanilla Market," CEPR Discussion Papers 1447, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jaime MELO DE & OLARREAGA & TAKACS, 1996. "Pricing policy under Double Market Power: Madagascar and the International Vanilla Market," Working Papers 199617, CERDI.
- De Melo, J. & Olarreaga, M. & Takacs, W., 1996. "Pricing Policy Under Double Market Power: Madagascar and the International Vanilla Market," Research Papers by the Institute of Economics and Econometrics, Geneva School of Economics and Management, University of Geneva 96.06, Institut d'Economie et Econométrie, Université de Genève.
- Carmen Reinhart, 1994.
"Devaluation, Relative Prices, and International Trade; Evidence From Developing Countries,"
IMF Working Papers
94/140, International Monetary Fund.
- Carmen M. Reinhart, 1995. "Devaluation, Relative Prices, and International Trade: Evidence from Developing Countries," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 42(2), pages 290-312, June.
- Reinhart, Carmen, 1995. "Devaluation, Relative Prices, and International Trade: Evidence from Developing Countries," MPRA Paper 6974, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Yumkella, Kandeh K. & Unnevehr, Laurian J. & Garcia, Philip, 1994. "Noncompetitive Pricing And Exchange Rate Pass-Through In Selected U.S. And Thai Rice Markets," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 26(02), December.
- Knetter, Michael M, 1989. "Price Discrimination by U.S. and German Exporters," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 79(1), pages 198-210, March.
- Sven W. Arndt & J. David Richardson, 1987. "Real-Financial Linkages Among Open Economies," NBER Working Papers 2230, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Claessens, S., 1993. "Risk Management in Developing Countries," Papers 235, World Bank - Technical Papers.
- Froot, Kenneth A & Klemperer, Paul D, 1989.
"Exchange Rate Pass-Through When Market Share Matters,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 79(4), pages 637-54, September.
- Kenneth A. Froot & Paul Klemperer, 1989. "Exchange Rate Pass-Through When Market Share Matters," NBER Working Papers 2542, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:agecon:v:25:y:2001:i:2-3:p:285-294. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.