Cost Economies in Hog Production: Feed prices matter
In this paper, we assess the impact of farm size on the production cost and evaluate the marginal costs and margins by taking into account that input prices may change with the scale of production. By using French data at the hog farm level, we estimate a system of equations including feed price equation, input demand functions, a output supply function based on a technology approximated by a combined generalized Leontief‐Quadratic form. Our results suggest the marginal costs are over‐estimated whether the endogeneity of feed prices is not controlled for. We show also that cost economies associated with output size are related to lower feed prices and not to a better use of labor. More specifically, cost economies for large farms (enjoying highest levels of profits) arise from feed prices and not by technological scale economies. In contrast,farms with no hired labor exhibit technological scale economies and reach higher pricecost margins than the larger farms.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://servsas.fsaa.ulaval.ca/index.php?id=12482&L=1|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Draganska, Michaela & Klapper, Daniel & Villas-Boas, Sofia B, 2008.
"A Larger Slice or a Larger Pie? An Empirical Investigation of Bargaining Power in the Distribution Channel,"
Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley, Working Paper Series
qt7v13q46w, Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley.
- Michaela Draganska & Daniel Klapper & Sofia B. Villas-Boas, 2010. "A Larger Slice or a Larger Pie? An Empirical Investigation of Bargaining Power in the Distribution Channel," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 29(1), pages 57-74, 01-02.
- Draganska, Michaela & Klapper, Daniel & Villas-Boas, Sofia B., 2008. "A larger slice or a larger pie? : an empirical investigation of bargaining power in the distribution channel," CUDARE Working Paper Series 1046, University of California at Berkeley, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics and Policy.
- Draganska, Michaela & Klapper, Daniel & Villas-Boas, Sofia B., 2008. "A Larger Slice or a Larger Pie? An Empirical Investigation of Bargaining Power in the Distribution Channel," Research Papers 2001, Stanford University, Graduate School of Business.
- Tauer, Loren W. & Mishra, Ashok K., 2003.
"Can the Small Dairy Farm Remain Competitive in U.S. Agriculture?,"
127239, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- Tauer, Loren W. & Mishra, Ashok K., 2006. "Can the small dairy farm remain competitive in US agriculture?," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(5), pages 458-468, October.
- Douglas W. Allen & Dean Lueck, 2004. "The Nature of the Farm: Contracts, Risk, and Organization in Agriculture," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262511851, June.
- Catherine J. Morrison Paul, 2001. "Market and Cost Structure in the U.S. Beef Packing Industry: A Plant-Level Analysis," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(1), pages 64-76.
- Carl Gaigné & Julie Le Gallo & Solène Larue & Bertrand Schmitt, 2012. "Does Regulation of Manure Land Application Work Against Agglomeration Economies? Theory and Evidence from the French Hog Sector," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 94(1), pages 116-132.
- Key, Nigel D. & McBride, William D. & Mosheim, Roberto, 2008. "Decomposition of Total Factor Productivity Change in the U.S. Hog Industry," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 40(01), April.
- Antonio Alvarez & Carlos Arias, 2003. "Diseconomies of Size with Fixed Managerial Ability," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 85(1), pages 134-142.
- Roberto Mosheim & C.A. Knox Lovell, 2007. "Scale Economies and Inefficiency of U.S. Dairy Farms," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 91(3), pages 777-794.
- Azzeddine Azzam & Cari S. Skinner, 2007. "Vertical Economies and the Structure of U.S. Hog Farms," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 55(3), pages 349-364, 09.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:spaawp:125261. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.