Indivisible And Spatial Components Of Dairy Firm Efficiency
This paper contrasts nonparametric data envelopment analysis (DEA) and free disposal hull (FDH) representations of dairy technology to determine whether factor indivisibilities and firm-specific location components affect economic performance. Location and capital structure variables, in addition to technology and firm structure, are used in a second-stage model to explain firm inefficiency using a Tobit estimator. Capital structure and location factors are correlated with firm efficiency in the DEA models but not the FDH indicating that the FDH representation may account for these factors in the in the first-stage efficiency modeling. Results indicate that failing to control for firm-specific spatial constraints and capital divisibilities will bias inefficiency estimates and overestimate the potential gains to economic policy designed to improve firm performance.
|Date of creation:||2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202|
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tone, Kaoru & Sahoo, Biresh K., 2003. "Scale, indivisibilities and production function in data envelopment analysis," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 84(2), pages 165-192, May.
- Jean-Paul Chavas & Thomas L. Cox, 1999.
"A Generalized Distance Function and the Analysis of Production Efficiency,"
Southern Economic Journal,
Southern Economic Association, vol. 66(2), pages 294-318, October.
- Jean-Paul Chavas & Thomas L. Cox, 1999. "A Generalized Distance Function and the Analysis of Production Efficiency," Wisconsin-Madison Agricultural and Applied Economics Staff Papers 422, Wisconsin-Madison Agricultural and Applied Economics Department.
- McDonald, John F & Moffitt, Robert A, 1980. "The Uses of Tobit Analysis," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 62(2), pages 318-21, May.
- Chavas, Jean-Paul & Aliber, Michael, 1993. "An Analysis Of Economic Efficiency In Agriculture: A Nonparametric Approach," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 18(01), July.
- repec:cor:louvrp:-571 is not listed on IDEAS
- McFadden, Daniel, 1978. "Cost, Revenue, and Profit Functions," Histoy of Economic Thought Chapters, in: Fuss, Melvyn & McFadden, Daniel (ed.), Production Economics: A Dual Approach to Theory and Applications, volume 1, chapter 1 McMaster University Archive for the History of Economic Thought.
- Antonio Alvarez & Carlos Arias, 2003. "Diseconomies of Size with Fixed Managerial Ability," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 85(1), pages 134-142.
- Tauer, Loren W. & Mishra, Ashok K., 2003.
"Can the Small Dairy Farm Remain Competitive in U.S. Agriculture?,"
127239, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- Tauer, Loren W. & Mishra, Ashok K., 2006. "Can the small dairy farm remain competitive in US agriculture?," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(5), pages 458-468, October.
- Fletschner, Diana K. & Zepeda, Lydia, 2002. "Efficiency Of Small Landholders In Eastern Paraguay," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 27(02), December.
- Hallam, David & Machado, Fernando, 1996. "Efficiency Analysis with Panel Data: A Study of Portuguese Dairy Farms," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 23(1), pages 79-93.
- Sherlund, Shane M. & Barrett, Christopher B. & Adesina, Akinwumi A., 2002. "Smallholder technical efficiency controlling for environmental production conditions," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 69(1), pages 85-101, October.
- Fujita, Masahisa & Krugman, Paul & Mori, Tomoya, 1999. "On the evolution of hierarchical urban systems1," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 209-251, February.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- Laurens Cherchye & Timo Kuosmanen & Thierry Post, 2000. "What Is the Economic Meaning of FDH? A Reply to Thrall," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 13(3), pages 263-267, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aaea04:20320. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.