Calculating the scale elasticity in DEA models
In economics scale properties of a production function is charcterised by the value of the scale elasticity. In the field of efficiency studies this is also a valid approach for the frontier production function. It has no good meaning to talk about scale properties of inefficient observations. In the DEA literature a qualitative characterisation is most common. The contribution of the paper is to apply the concept of scale elasticity from multi output production theory in economics to the piecewise linear frontier production function, and to develop formulas for calculating values of the scale elasticity for radial projections of inefficient observations. Illustrations also on real data are provided, showing the differences between scale elasticity values for the input- and output oriented projections and the range of values for efficient observations.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2002|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Corso Unione Sovietica, 218bis - 10134 Torino - Italy|
Phone: +39 011 6706060
Fax: +39 011 6706062
Web page: http://www.esomas.unito.it/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Banker, R. D. & Bardhan, I. & Cooper, W. W., 1996. "A note on returns to scale in DEA," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 88(3), pages 583-585, February.
- N/A, 1996. "Note:," Foreign Trade Review, , vol. 31(1-2), pages 1-1, January.
- Afriat, Sidney N, 1972. "Efficiency Estimation of Production Function," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 13(3), pages 568-598, October.
- Banker, Rajiv D. & Thrall, R. M., 1992. "Estimation of returns to scale using data envelopment analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 62(1), pages 74-84, October.
- Banker, Rajiv D. & Chang, Hsihui & Cooper, William W., 1996. "Equivalence and implementation of alternative methods for determining returns to scale in data envelopment analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 89(3), pages 473-481, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:icr:wpicer:28-2002. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Simone Pellegrino)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.