Are all scales optimal in Dea? Theory and empirical evidence
Download full text from publisher
Other versions of this item:
- Finn Førsund & Lennart Hjalmarsson, 2004. "Are all Scales Optimal in DEA? Theory and Empirical Evidence," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 21(1), pages 25-48, January.
- Førsund, Finn R. & Hjalmarsson, Lennart, 2002. "Are all Scales Optimal in DEA? Theory and Empirical Evidence," Working Papers in Economics 66, University of Gothenburg, Department of Economics.
References listed on IDEAS
- McFadden, Daniel, 1978. "Cost, Revenue, and Profit Functions," Histoy of Economic Thought Chapters,in: Fuss, Melvyn & McFadden, Daniel (ed.), Production Economics: A Dual Approach to Theory and Applications, volume 1, chapter 1 McMaster University Archive for the History of Economic Thought.
- Baumol, William J, 1982. "Contestable Markets: An Uprising in the Theory of Industry Structure," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 72(1), pages 1-15, March.
- Banker, R. D. & Bardhan, I. & Cooper, W. W., 1996. "A note on returns to scale in DEA," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 88(3), pages 583-585, February.
- Banker, Rajiv D., 1984. "Estimating most productive scale size using data envelopment analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 35-44, July.
- Hjalmarsson, Lennart & Veiderpass, Ann, 1992. " Productivity in Swedish Electricity Retail Distribution," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 94(0), pages 193-205, Supplemen.
- Hanoch, Giora, 1970. "Homotheticity in joint production," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 2(4), pages 423-426, December.
- John C. Panzar & Robert D. Willig, 1977. "Economies of Scale in Multi-Output Production," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 91(3), pages 481-493.
- Starrett, David A, 1977. "Measuring Returns to Scale in the Aggregate, and the Scale Effect of Public Goods," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 45(6), pages 1439-1455, September.
- Simar, Leopold & Wilson, Paul W., 2002. "Non-parametric tests of returns to scale," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 139(1), pages 115-132, May.
- N/A, 1996. "Note:," Foreign Trade Review, , vol. 31(1-2), pages 1-1, January.
- Jamasb, T. & Pollitt, M., 2000. "Benchmarking and regulation: international electricity experience," Utilities Policy, Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 107-130, September.
- Kim, H Youn, 1987. "Economies of Scale in Multi-product Firms: An Empirical Analysis," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 54(214), pages 185-206, May.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- repec:pal:jorsoc:v:55:y:2004:i:10:d:10.1057_palgrave.jors.2601741 is not listed on IDEAS
- Førsund, Finn R. & Kittelsen, Sverre A. & Krivonozhko, Vladimir E., 2007. "Farrell Revisited: Visualising the DEA Production Frontier," Memorandum 15/2007, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Olesen, Ole Bent & Petersen, Niels Christian, 2013. "Imposing the Regular Ultra Passum law in DEA models," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 41(1), pages 16-27.
- repec:eee:soceps:v:61:y:2018:i:c:p:37-43 is not listed on IDEAS
- Forsund, Finn R. & Sarafoglou, Nikias, 2005.
"The tale of two research communities: The diffusion of research on productive efficiency,"
International Journal of Production Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 98(1), pages 17-40, October.
- Førsund, Finn R. & Sarafoglou, Nikias, 2003. "The Tale of two Research Communities: The Diffusion of Research on Productive Efficiency," Memorandum 08/2003, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Finn R. Førsund & Nikias Sarafoglou, 2005. "The Tale of Two research Communities: The Diffusion of Research on Productive Efficiency," Department of Economics University of Siena 446, Department of Economics, University of Siena.
- Olesen, Ole B. & Ruggiero, John, 2014. "Maintaining the Regular Ultra Passum Law in data envelopment analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 235(3), pages 798-809.
- Tone, Kaoru & Sahoo, Biresh K., 2004. "Degree of scale economies and congestion: A unified DEA approach," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 158(3), pages 755-772, November.
- Kaoru Tone & Miki Tsutsui, 2013. "How to deal with S-shaped curve in DEA," GRIPS Discussion Papers 13-10, National Graduate Institute for Policy Studies.
- Erbetta, Fabrizio & Rappuoli, Luca, 2008. "Optimal scale in the Italian gas distribution industry using data envelopment analysis," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 325-336, April.
- Førsund, Finn R. & Kittelsen, Sverre A.C & Lindseth, Frode, 2005. "Efficiency And Productivity Of Norwegian Tax Offices," Memorandum 29/2005, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- repec:pal:jorsoc:v:60:y:2009:i:11:d:10.1057_jors.2008.185 is not listed on IDEAS
- Asmild, Mette & Paradi, Joseph C. & Reese, David N., 2006. "Theoretical perspectives of trade-off analysis using DEA," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 34(4), pages 337-343, August.
- Cesaroni, Giovanni & Giovannola, Daniele, 2015. "Average-cost efficiency and optimal scale sizes in non-parametric analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 242(1), pages 121-133.
- Rodrigo Gómez Monge, 2012. "El sector bancario en México, los depósitos a plazo y las cuentas de ahorro: un análisis de eficiencia durante el periodo de internacionalización a través de la envolvente de datos (dea)," REVISTA CIENCIAS ESTRATÉGICAS, UNIVERSIDAD PONTIFICIA BOLIVARIANA, June.
- Stefan Seifert, 2016. "Semi-Parametric Measures of Scale Characteristics of German Natural Gas-Fired Electricity Generation," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 1571, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Subal Kumbhakar & Roar Amundsveen & Hilde Kvile & Gudbrand Lien, 2015. "Scale economies, technical change and efficiency in Norwegian electricity distribution, 1998–2010," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 43(3), pages 295-305, June.
More about this item
KeywordsOptimal scale; scale elasticity; data envelopment analysis (DEA); frontier production functions; duals;
- C61 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Optimization Techniques; Programming Models; Dynamic Analysis
- D20 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - General
- L11 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Production, Pricing, and Market Structure; Size Distribution of Firms
- L52 - Industrial Organization - - Regulation and Industrial Policy - - - Industrial Policy; Sectoral Planning Methods
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-EFF-2003-07-29 (Efficiency & Productivity)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:icr:wpicer:14-2002. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Simone Pellegrino). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/icerrit.html .