Can the small dairy farm remain competitive in US agriculture?
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version below or search for a different version of it.
Other versions of this item:
- Tauer, Loren W. & Mishra, Ashok K., 2003. "Can the Small Dairy Farm Remain Competitive in U.S. Agriculture?," Working Papers 127239, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
References listed on IDEAS
- Short, Sara D., 2004. "Characteristics and Production Costs of U.S. Dairy Operations," Statistical Bulletin 262279, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Douglas Jackson-Smith & David Trechter & Nate Splett, 2004. "The Contribution of Financial Management Training and Knowledge to Dairy Farm Financial Performance," Review of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 26(1), pages 132-147.
- Edwards, Clark & Smith, Matthew G. & Peterson, R. Neal, 1985. "The Changing Distribution of Farms by Size: A Markov Analysis," Agricultural Economics Research, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service, issue 4.
- George E. Battese & Greg S. Corra, 1977. "Estimation Of A Production Frontier Model: With Application To The Pastoral Zone Of Eastern Australia," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 21(3), pages 169-179, December.
- Antonio Alvarez & Carlos Arias, 2003. "Diseconomies of Size with Fixed Managerial Ability," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 85(1), pages 134-142.
- Christopher A. Wolf & Daniel A. Sumner, 2001. "Are Farm Size Distributions Bimodal? Evidence from Kernel Density Estimates of Dairy Farm Size Distributions," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(1), pages 77-88.
- Kumbhakar, Subal C & Ghosh, Soumendra & McGuckin, J Thomas, 1991. "A Generalized Production Frontier Approach for Estimating Determinants of Inefficiency in U.S. Dairy Farms," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 9(3), pages 279-286, July.
- Jondrow, James & Knox Lovell, C. A. & Materov, Ivan S. & Schmidt, Peter, 1982. "On the estimation of technical inefficiency in the stochastic frontier production function model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 19(2-3), pages 233-238, August.
- Battese, George E. & Corra, Greg S., 1977. "Estimation Of A Production Frontier Model: With Application To The Pastoral Zone Of Eastern Australia," Australian Journal of Agricultural Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 0(Number 3), pages 1-11, December.
- Battese, G E & Coelli, T J, 1995. "A Model for Technical Inefficiency Effects in a Stochastic Frontier Production Function for Panel Data," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 20(2), pages 325-332.
- repec:ags:ersaer:149283 is not listed on IDEAS
- Meeusen, Wim & van den Broeck, Julien, 1977. "Efficiency Estimation from Cobb-Douglas Production Functions with Composed Error," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 18(2), pages 435-444, June.
- Aigner, Dennis & Lovell, C. A. Knox & Schmidt, Peter, 1977. "Formulation and estimation of stochastic frontier production function models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 21-37, July.
- Blayney, Donald P., 2004. "Milk Production shifts West," Amber Waves:The Economics of Food, Farming, Natural Resources, and Rural America, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service, pages 1-4, September.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Almuhanad Melhim & Erik J. O'Donoghue & C. Richard Shumway, 2009.
"Do the Largest Firms Grow and Diversify the Fastest? The Case of U.S. Dairies,"
Review of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 31(2), pages 284-302, June.
- Almuhanad Melhim & Erik J. O'Donoghue & C. Richard Shumway, 2008. "Do the Largest Firms Grow and Diversify the Fastest? The Case of U.S. Dairies," Working Papers 2008-7, School of Economic Sciences, Washington State University.
- Ferrara, Giancarlo & Vidoli, Francesco, 2017. "Semiparametric stochastic frontier models: A generalized additive model approach," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 258(2), pages 761-777.
- Richard Nehring & Jeffrey Gillespie & Carmen Sandretto & Charlie Hallahan, 2009. "Small U.S. dairy farms: can they compete?," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 40(s1), pages 817-825, November.
- Mugera, Amin W. & Bitsch, Vera, 2005. "Managing Labor on Dairy Farms: A Resource-Based Perspective with Evidence from Case Studies," International Food and Agribusiness Management Review, International Food and Agribusiness Management Association, vol. 0(Issue 3), pages 1-20.
- Getu Hailu & B. James Deaton, 2016. "Agglomeration Effects in Ontario’s Dairy Farming," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 98(4), pages 1055-1073.
- Dalton, Timothy J., 2004. "Indivisible And Spatial Components Of Dairy Firm Efficiency," 2004 Annual meeting, August 1-4, Denver, CO 20320, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Gillespie, Jeffrey & Nyaupane, Narayan & McMillin, Kenneth & Harrison, Wes, 2014. "The Impact of Marketing Channels Used by U.S. Meat Goat Producers on Farm Profitability," 2014 Annual Meeting, February 1-4, 2014, Dallas, Texas 162499, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
- Tauer, Loren W. & Mishra, Ashok K., 2005. "U.S. Dairy Farm Cost Efficiency," Working Papers 127079, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- Xiaoheng Zhang & Feng Chu & Xiaohua Yu & Yingheng Zhou & Xu Tian & Xianhui Geng & Jinyang Yang, 2017. "Changing Structure and Sustainable Development for China’s Hog Sector," Sustainability, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 9(1), pages 1-15, January.
- Todd Kuethe & Mitch Morehart, 2012. "The Agricultural Resource Management Survey: An information system for production agriculture," Agricultural Finance Review, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 72(2), pages 191-200, July.
- repec:bla:afrdev:v:29:y:2017:i:1:p:28-43 is not listed on IDEAS
- Mkhabela, Thulasizwe S. & Mndeme, S.H., 2010. "The cost of producing milk in the KwaZulu-Natal Midlands of South Africa: a cost-curve approach," Agrekon, Agricultural Economics Association of South Africa (AEASA), vol. 0(Issue 1), pages 1-21, March.
- Labarthe, Pierre & Laurent, Catherine, 2013. "Privatization of agricultural extension services in the EU: Towards a lack of adequate knowledge for small-scale farms?," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(C), pages 240-252.
- repec:oup:revage:v:31:y:2009:i:2:p:284-302. is not listed on IDEAS
- Alphonse Singbo & Bruno Larue, 2016. "Scale Economies, Technical Efficiency, and the Sources of Total Factor Productivity Growth of Quebec Dairy Farms," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 64(2), pages 339-363, June.
- Mayen, Carlos D. & Balagtas, Joseph Valdes & Alexander, Corinne E., 2009. "Vertical Economies of Scope for Organic and Conventional Dairy Farms in the United States," 2009 Annual Meeting, July 26-28, 2009, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 49409, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- A. M. Theodoridis & A. Psychoudakis, 2008. "Efficiency Measurement in Greek Dairy Farms: Stochastic Frontier vs. Data Envelopment Analysis," International Journal of Business and Economic Sciences Applied Research (IJBESAR), Eastern Macedonia and Thrace Institute of Technology (EMATTECH), Kavala, Greece, vol. 1(2), pages 53-67, December.
- Duvaleix-Treguer, Sabine & Gaigne, Carl, 2012. "Cost Economies in Hog Production: Feed prices matter," Working Papers 125261, Structure and Performance of Agriculture and Agri-products Industry (SPAA).
- Bitsch, Vera & Kassa, Getachew Abate & Harsh, Stephen B. & Mugera, Amin W., 2006.
"Human Resource Management Risks: Sources and Control Strategies Based on Dairy Farmer Focus Groups,"
Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics,
Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 0(Number 1), pages 1-14, April.
- Bitsch, Vera & Kassa, Getachew Abate & Harsh, Stephen B. & Mugera, Amin W., 2006. "Human Resource Management Risks: Sources and Control Strategies Based on Dairy Farmer Focus Groups," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 38(01), pages 123-136, April.
- MacDonald, James M. & O'Donoghue, Erik J. & McBride, William D. & Nehring, Richard F. & Sandretto, Carmen L. & Mosheim, Roberto, 2007. "Profits, Costs, and the Changing Structure of Dairy Farming," Economic Research Report 6704, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Amarender Reddy, A. & Bantilan, Ma Cynthia S., 2012. "Competitiveness and technical efficiency: Determinants in the groundnut oil sector of India," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 255-263.
More about this item
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jfpoli:v:31:y:2006:i:5:p:458-468. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu). General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/foodpol .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.