Liquidity Costs in Futures Options Markets
The major finding is that liquidity costs in futures options market are two to three times higher than liquidity costs in the futures market. Liquidity cost is one potential factor to consider when choosing between hedging with a futures contract or with an option contract. While there is considerable research that estimates liquidity costs of futures trading, there is little comparable research about options markets. This study, for the first time, attempts to determine and compare liquidity costs in options and futures markets. The study uses July 2007 wheat futures and options contracts traded on Kansas City Board of Trade. Two measures of liquidity costs were used for both options and futures markets. One measure of liquidity costs in options markets is the average bid-ask spread that is calculated from the available bidask quotes. A new measure of liquidity costs in options markets is derived based on the Black model and it uses trade prices instead of observed bid-ask quotes. The liquidity costs in the options market was estimated to be 1.60 cents per bushel using observed bid-ask spreads and it was 1.37 cents per bushel when the new measure was used. Liquidity costs in the futures markets are estimated using Roll’s measure and average absolute price changes. The estimates were 0.45 and 0.49 cents per bushel, respectively for futures contracts. A positive relation was found between option liquidity costs and moneyness of the option. Days to expiration of the contracts was not statistically significant in explaining the liquidity cost of the option.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2009|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 326 Mumford Hall, MC-710, 1301 West Gregory Drive, Urbana, Illinois, 61801|
Phone: (217) 333-1810
Fax: (217) 333-5538
Web page: http://www.farmdoc.uiuc.edu/nccc134/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Scott H. Irwin & B. Wade Brorsen, 1985.
"Public futures funds,"
Journal of Futures Markets,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 5(3), pages 463-485, 09.
- B. Wade Brorsen & John Coombs & Kim Anderson, 1995. "The cost of forward contracting wheat," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 11(4), pages 349-354.
- Townsend, John P. & Brorsen, B. Wade, 2000.
"Cost of Forward Contracting Hard Red Winter Wheat,"
Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics,
Cambridge University Press, vol. 32(01), pages 89-94, April.
- Townsend, John P. & Brorsen, B. Wade, 1997. "Cost of Forward Contracting Hard Red Winter Wheat," 1997 Annual Meeting, July 13-16, 1997, Reno\Sparks, Nevada 35749, Western Agricultural Economics Association.
- Black, Fischer, 1976. "The pricing of commodity contracts," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(1-2), pages 167-179.
- Thompson, Sarahelen R. & Eales, James S. & Seibold, David, 1993.
"Comparison Of Liquidity Costs Between The Kansas City And Chicago Wheat Futures Contracts,"
Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics,
Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 18(02), December.
- Thompson, Sarahelen & Eales, James S. & Seibold, David, 1991. "Comparison of Liquidity Costs Between the Kansas City and Chicago Wheat Futures Contracts," Staff Paper Series 232522, University of Alberta, Department of Resource Economics and Environmental Sociology.
- Thompson, S. & Waller, M.L., 1988. "Determinants Of Liquidity Costs In Commodity Furures Markets," Papers 172, Columbia - Center for Futures Markets.
- Thomas V. Greer & B. Wade Brorsen & Shi-Miin Liu, 1992. "Slippage Costs in Order Execution for a Public Futures Fund," Review of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 14(2), pages 281-288.
- Baesel, Jerome B & Shows, George & Thorp, Edward, 1983. " The Cost of Liquidity Services in Listed Options: A Note," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 38(3), pages 989-995, June.
- B. Wade Brorsen, 1989. "Liquidity costs and scalping returns in the corn futures market," Journal of Futures Markets, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 9(3), pages 225-236, 06.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:nccc09:53047. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.