Measuring Liquidity Costs in Agricultural Futures Markets
Estimation of liquidity costs in agricultural futures markets is challenging because bid-ask spreads are usually not observed. Spread estimators that use transaction data are available, but little agreement exists on their relative accuracy and performance. We evaluate four conventional and a recently proposed Bayesian estimators using simulated data based on Roll’s standard liquidity cost model. The Bayesian estimator tracks Roll’s model relatively well except when the level of noise in the market is large. We derive an improved estimator that seems to have a higher performance even under high levels of noise which is common in agricultural futures markets. We also compute liquidity costs using data for hogs and cattle futures contracts trading on the Chicago Mercantile Exchange. The results obtained for market data are in line with the findings using simulated data.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 326 Mumford Hall, MC-710, 1301 West Gregory Drive, Urbana, Illinois, 61801|
Phone: (217) 333-1810
Fax: (217) 333-5538
Web page: http://www.farmdoc.uiuc.edu/nccc134/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ferguson, Michael F & Mann, Steven C, 2001. "Execution Costs and Their Intraday Variation in Futures Markets," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 74(1), pages 125-60, January.
- Choi, J. Y. & Salandro, Dan & Shastri, Kuldeep, 1988. "On the Estimation of Bid-Ask Spreads: Theory and Evidence," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 23(02), pages 219-230, June.
- Thompson, Sarahelen & Eales, James S. & Seibold, David, 1991.
"Comparison of Liquidity Costs Between the Kansas City and Chicago Wheat Futures Contracts,"
Staff Paper Series
232522, University of Alberta, Department of Resource Economics and Environmental Sociology.
- Thompson, Sarahelen R. & Eales, James S. & Seibold, David, 1993. "Comparison Of Liquidity Costs Between The Kansas City And Chicago Wheat Futures Contracts," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 18(02), December.
- Thompson, Sarahelen R. & Waller, Mark L., 1987. "The Execution Cost of Trading in Commodity Futures Markets," Food Research Institute Studies, Stanford University, Food Research Institute, issue 02.
- B. Wade Brorsen & Darren W. Buck & Stephen R. Koontz, 1998. "Hedging hard red winter wheat: Kansas City versus Chicago," Journal of Futures Markets, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 18(4), pages 449-466, 06.
- Lee, Charles M C & Ready, Mark J, 1991. " Inferring Trade Direction from Intraday Data," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 46(2), pages 733-46, June.
- Thompson, S. & Waller, M.L., 1988. "Determinants Of Liquidity Costs In Commodity Furures Markets," Papers 172, Columbia - Center for Futures Markets.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:nccsci:37572. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.