Rural Growth and the Rural Capital Account
This technical report contributes to NC 1014's efforts to understand and improve the contribution of rural financial markets for rural growth. We investigate the ‗export-led growth' hypothesis about rural development, with particular emphasis on the implications of regional current account surpluses/capital account deficits, and deposits in commercial banks. We find that in just one case, subsequent rural deposits depend positively on prior rural export sector activity. But these deposits do not appear to support local investment: both subsequent rural employment and rural income growth are significantly negatively correlated with initial export intensity.
|Date of creation:||2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.agfin.ifas.ufl.edu/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Collender, Robert N. & Shaffer, Sherrill L., 2000.
"Local Bank Office Ownership, Deposit Control, Market Structure, And Economic Growth,"
33555, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Collender, Robert N. & Shaffer, Sherrill, 2003. "Local bank office ownership, deposit control, market structure, and economic growth," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 27-57, January.
- Kilkenny, Maureen & Jolly, Robert W., 2005.
"Are Rural Credit Markets Competitive? Is There Room for Competition in Rural Credit Markets?,"
Staff General Research Papers
12634, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Kilkenny, Maureen & Jolly, Robert W., 2005. "Are Rural Credit Markets Competitive? Is There Room for Competition in Rural Credit Markets?," Choices, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 20(1).
- Steven C. Deller & Tsung-Hsiu (Sue) Tsai & David W. Marcouiller & Donald B.K. English, 2001. "The Role of Amenities and Quality of Life In Rural Economic Growth," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(2), pages 352-365.
- Stephan J. Goetz & David L. Debertin, 1996. "Rural Population Decline in the 1980s: Impacts of Farm Structure and Federal Farm Programs," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 78(3), pages 517-529.
- Peter G. McGregor & Eric P. McVittie & J. Kim Swales & Ya Ping Yin, 2000. "The Neoclassical Economic Base Multiplier," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 40(1), pages 1-31.
- Davis, James C. & Henderson, J. Vernon, 2003. "Evidence on the political economy of the urbanization process," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(1), pages 98-125, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:nc1007:48145. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.