Technological progress and efficiency change In Hungarian Agriculture
Hungary became the member of European Union in 2004. The authors want to show that, though, many sectors of Hungarian agriculture have been operating at low level of technology and efficiency; there was a big expectation about the fast catching up with accession to European Union. This paper investigates the effect of EU membership on the productivity performance of Hungarian agriculture based on the years 2005 and 2009 using Data Envelopment Analyses and Malmquist index. The analysis showed that there were considerable reserves of efficiency in the presented two main branches (wheat and pig fattening) of the Hungarian agriculture, and the reserves slightly decreased in wheat production, but they increased in the pig sector by EU accession. The implication for agricultural reform of future productivity growth has also been assessed.
|Date of creation:||20 Aug 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.iaae-agecon.org/Email: |
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bernhard Br�mmer & Thomas Glauben & Geert Thijssen, 2002. "Decomposition of Productivity Growth Using Distance Functions: The Case of Dairy Farms in Three European Countries," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 84(3), pages 628-644.
- V. Ball & Jean-Christophe Bureau & Jean-Pierre Butault & Richard Nehring, 2001. "Levels of Farm Sector Productivity: An International Comparison," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 15(1), pages 5-29, January.
- Kawagoe, Toshihiko & Hayami, Yujiro & Ruttan, Vernon W., 1985. "The intercountry agricultural production function and productivity differences among countries," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(1-2), pages 113-132.
- Fogarasi, Jozsef & Latruffe, Laure, 2007. "Technical efficiency and technology in Eastern and Western agriculture: A comparison of crop and dairy farms in Hungary and France," 104th Seminar, September 5-8, 2007, Budapest, Hungary 7810, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Carter Colin A. & Zhang Bin, 1994. "Agricultural Efficiency Gains in Centrally Planned Economies," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 314-328, June.
- Balcombe, Kelvin George & Davidova, Sophia & Latruffe, Laure, 2005. "Productivity Change in Polish Agriculture: An Application of a Bootstrap Procedure to Malmquist Indices," 2005 International Congress, August 23-27, 2005, Copenhagen, Denmark 24572, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:iaae12:126120. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.