The Political Economy of EU Agri-environmental measures: An empirical Assessment at the Regional Level
The paper deals with the political economy determinants of EU agri-environmental measures (AEMs) applied by 59 regional/country units, during the 2001-2004 period. Five different groups of determinants, spanning from positive and negative externalities to political institutions, are highlighted and tested using an econometric model. The main results suggest that AEMs implementation is mostly affected by the strength of farm lobbies, political institutions and the demand for positive externalities. On the contrary, AEMs do not seem implemented by the willingness to address negative externalities.
|Date of creation:||2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.eaae.org|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Achim Kemmerling & Thilo Bodenstein, 2006. "Partisan Politics in Regional Redistribution," European Union Politics, SAGE Publishing, vol. 7(3), pages 373-392, September.
- Baylis, Katherine R. & Peplow, Stephen & Rausser, Gordon C. & Simon, Leo K., 2005.
"Causes Of Multifunctionality: Externalities Or Political Pressure,"
15841, University of British Columbia, Food and Resource Economics.
- Baylis, Katherine R. & Casamatta, Georges & Peplow, Stephen & Rausser, Gordon C. & Simon, Leo K., 2005. "Causes of Multifunctionality: Externalities or Political Pressure?," 2005 Annual meeting, July 24-27, Providence, RI 19297, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- De Gorter, Harry & Swinnen, Johan, 2002. "Political economy of agricultural policy," Handbook of Agricultural Economics, in: B. L. Gardner & G. C. Rausser (ed.), Handbook of Agricultural Economics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 36, pages 1893-1943 Elsevier.
- Anderson, Kym, 2000. "Agriculture's 'multifunctionality' and the WTO," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 44(3), September.
- Thilo Glebe & Klaus Salhofer, 2007. "EU agri-environmental programs and the "restaurant table effect"," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 37(2-3), pages 211-218, 09.
- Baylis, Katherine R. & Peplow, Stephen & Rausser, Gordon C. & Simon, Leo K., 2006.
"Agri-environmental Policy in the European Union: Who's in Charge?,"
Trade Policy Briefs
24149, Canadian Agricultural Trade Policy Research Network.
- Baylis, Katherine R. & Peplow, Stephen & Rausser, Gordon C. & Simon, Leo K., 2006. "Agri-environmental Policy in the European Union: Who's in Charge?," Commissioned Papers 24162, Canadian Agricultural Trade Policy Research Network.
- Franz Hackl & Martin Halla & Gerald J. Pruckner, 2007. "Local compensation payments for agri-environmental externalities: a panel data analysis of bargaining outcomes," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 34(3), pages 295-320, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:eaae08:44435. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.