Heterogeneous Technologies as an Answer to Market and Price Risk: The Case of Kosovo
This paper empirically measures the prevalence of heterogeneous technologies in a sample of small-scale agricultural producers as an answer to structural conditions and market risks. Such risks are closely linked to the effects of land fragmentation and the degree of market integration. We use the empirical case of Kosovo as a transition country to investigate the efficiency effects of land fragmentation by simultaneously considering the effects of market integration. Different to previous studies, we assume that land fragmentation and market integration lead to the prevalence of heterogeneous technologies allowing farm households to respond more efficiently to exogenous price and policy shocks given their fragmentation and subsistence situation. The empirical work links the latent class frontier method to the estimation of a directional output distance function. We estimate beside primal technology measures also dual Morishima type elasticities of substitution investigating changes in production decisions based on relative shadow price changes.
|Date of creation:||23 Feb 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.eaae.org|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jean-Paul Chavas & Ragan Petrie & Michael Roth, 2005.
"Farm Household Production Efficiency: Evidence from The Gambia,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 87(1), pages 160-179.
- Chavas, Jean-Paul & Petrie, Ragan & Roth, Michael, 2003. "Farm Household Production Efficiency: Evidence from The Gambia," Efficiency Series Papers 2003/05, University of Oviedo, Department of Economics, Oviedo Efficiency Group (OEG).
- Chen, Zhuo & Huffman, Wallace E. & Rozelle, Scott, 2009. "Farm technology and technical efficiency: Evidence from four regions in China," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 153-161, June.
- Chen, Zhuo & Huffman, Wallace & Rozelle, Scott, 2006. "Farm Technology and Technical Efficiency: Evidence from Four Regions in China," Staff General Research Papers Archive 12605, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Johannes Sauer & Sophia Davidova & Laure Latruffe, 2012. "Determinants of Smallholders’ Decisions to Leave Land Fallow: The Case of Kosovo," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 63(1), pages 119-141, 02.
- Sauer, Johannes & Davidova, Sophia & Latruffe, Laure, 2010. "Determinants of smallholders’ decisions to leave land fallow: the case of Kosovo," 118th Seminar, August 25-27, 2010, Ljubljana, Slovenia 94917, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Rios, Ana R. & Masters, William A. & Shively, Gerald E., 2008. "Linkages between Market Participation and Productivity: Results from a Multi-Country Farm Household Sample," 2008 Annual Meeting, July 27-29, 2008, Orlando, Florida 6145, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Alvarez, Antonio & del Corral, Julio & Tauer, Loren W., 2012. "Modeling Unobserved Heterogeneity in New York Dairy Farms: One-Stage versus Two-Stage Models," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 41(3), December.
- del Corral, Julio & Alvarez, Antonio & Tauer, Loren W., 2009. "Detecting Technological Heterogeneity in New York Dairy Farms," Working Papers 51143, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- del Corral, Julio & Alvarez, Antonio & Tauer, Loren W., 2009. "Detecting Technological Heterogeneity in New York Dairy Farms," 2009 Annual Meeting, July 26-28, 2009, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 49293, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- David Stern, 2011. "Elasticities of substitution and complementarity," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 36(1), pages 79-89, August.
- David I. Stern, 2004. "Elasticities of Substitution and Complementarity," Rensselaer Working Papers in Economics 0403, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Department of Economics.
- Stern, David I, 2008. "Elasticities of Substitution and Complementarity," MPRA Paper 12454, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Fare, Rolf & Grosskopf, Shawna & Noh, Dong-Woon & Weber, William, 2005. "Characteristics of a polluting technology: theory and practice," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 126(2), pages 469-492, June.
- Graham, Mary & Fraser, Iain, 2003. "Scale Efficiency In Australian Dairy Farms," 2003 Conference (47th), February 12-14, 2003, Fremantle, Australia 57878, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Greene, William, 2005. "Reconsidering heterogeneity in panel data estimators of the stochastic frontier model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 126(2), pages 269-303, June.
- Sophia Davidova, 2011. "Semi‐Subsistence Farming: An Elusive Concept Posing Thorny Policy Questions," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 62(3), pages 503-524, 09.
- Laure Latruffe & Kelvin Balcombe & Sophia Davidova & Katarzyna Zawalinska, 2004. "Determinants of technical efficiency of crop and livestock farms in Poland," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(12), pages 1255-1263.
- del Corral, J. & Pérez, J.A. & Roibás, D., 2010. "The impact of land fragmentation on milk production," Efficiency Series Papers 2010/02, University of Oviedo, Department of Economics, Oviedo Efficiency Group (OEG).
- Wu, Ziping & Liu, Minquan & Davis, John, 2005. "Land consolidation and productivity in Chinese household crop production," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 28-49.
- Luis Orea & Subal C. Kumbhakar, 2004. "Efficiency measurement using a latent class stochastic frontier model," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 29(1), pages 169-183, January. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:eaa123:122509. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.