From total farm to household risk: implication for risk management
Modeling the farm level impact of risk management programs, policies and instruments is traditionally been done on a farm-level basis. Hence, farm simulation models typically use the behavioural assumption of profit or utility maximization is risk aversion taken into account. However, abundant – albeit indirect – evidence from different literature sources suggest that minimization of household risk – being the chance of falling below a certain threshold level of household cash flow – might be more realistic behavioural assumption. In this paper, we present concepts of operational, financial, total farm and household risk. Further, using a stochastic simulation model on two typical Belgian dairy farms, we illustrate possible farmers responses in the presence or absence of farm income stabilization mechanisms. Although some limitations to the current model are mentioned, the results already suggests the usefulness of considering household risk when assessing the impact of risk management programs, policies and instruments.
|Date of creation:||23 Feb 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.eaae.org|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Anton, Jesus & Kimura, Shingo, 2009. "Farm Level Analysis of Risk, and Risk Management Strategies and Policies: Evidence from German Crop Farms," 2009 Conference, August 16-22, 2009, Beijing, China 51729, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Stephen C. Gabriel & C. B. Baker, 1980. "Concepts of Business and Financial Risk," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 62(3), pages 560-564.
- G Lien & JB Hardaker, 2001. "Whole-farm planning under uncertainty: impacts of subsidy scheme and utility function on portfolio choice in Norwegian agriculture," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 28(1), pages 17-36, March.
- Freshwater, David & Jette-Nantel, Simon, 2011. "Risk Management and the Role of Off-farm Income," Staff Papers 120184, University of Kentucky, Department of Agricultural Economics.
- Hardaker, J. Brian & Lien, Gudbrand, 2010. "Probabilities for decision analysis in agriculture and rural resource economics: The need for a paradigm change," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 103(6), pages 345-350, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:eaa123:122470. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.