Farm-Level Evidence On The Risk Balancing Hypothesis From Illinois Grain Farms
This study provides farm-level empirical support to the Risk-Balancing Hypothesis using Illinois grain farm data. The econometric results indicate that risk-balancing farmers comprise more than half of the sample. These farmers tend to be older, have higher leasing ratios, are less financially efficient and manage risk through crop specialization, enterprise diversification, and marketing strategies in addition to risk balancing.
|Date of creation:||2001|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202|
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Allen M. Featherstone & Charles B. Moss & Timothy G. Baker & Paul V. Preckel, 1988. "The Theoretical Effects of Farm Policies on Optimal Leverage and the Probability of Equity Losses," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 70(3), pages 572-579.
- Purdy, Barry M. & Langemeier, Michael R. & Featherstone, Allen M., 1997.
"Financial Performance, Risk, And Specialization,"
Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics,
Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 29(01), July.
- Purdy, Barry M. & Langemeier, Michael R. & Featherstone, Allen M., 1997. "Financial Performance, Risk, and Specialization," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 29(01), pages 149-161, July.
- Harwood, Joy L. & Heifner, Richard G. & Coble, Keith H. & Perry, Janet E. & Somwaru, Agapi, 1999. "Managing Risk in Farming: Concepts, Research, and Analysis," Agricultural Economics Reports 34081, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Townsend, John P. & Brorsen, B. Wade, 2000. "Cost of Forward Contracting Hard Red Winter Wheat," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 32(01), pages 89-94, April.
- Townsend, John P. & Brorsen, B. Wade, 2000. "Cost Of Forward Contracting Hard Red Winter Wheat," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 32(01), April.
- Townsend, John P. & Brorsen, B. Wade, 1997. "Cost of Forward Contracting Hard Red Winter Wheat," 1997 Annual Meeting, July 13-16, 1997, Reno\Sparks, Nevada 35749, Western Agricultural Economics Association.
- Barry, Peter J. & Escalante, Cesar L. & Bard, Sharon K., 2000. "Economic Risk And The Structural Characteristics Of Farm Businesses," 2000 Annual meeting, July 30-August 2, Tampa, FL 21778, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- repec:ags:joaaec:v:29:y:1997:i:1:p:149-61 is not listed on IDEAS Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aaea01:20617. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.