Governance and Surplus Distribution in Commodity Value Chains in Africa
The governance of food markets is a crucial element for efficiency and distributional effects. In this paper, we use a conceptual model to show that this governance itself is endogenous in an environment of weak contract enforcement and imperfect markets, and importantly depends on the value in the chain. We relate the predictions of the theory to empirical evidence on differences in supply chain governance in Africa across different commodity types. In doing so we offer an explanation as why private sector governance systems with interlinked market transactions have emerged for higher value crops but not for staple food crops. We discuss the efficiency and equity effects and the implications for policy.
|Date of creation:||2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.eaae.org|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fafchamps, Marcel & Minten, Bart, 1998.
"Relationships and traders in Madagascar,"
MTID discussion papers
24, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Bell, Clive, 1988. "Credit markets and interlinked transactions," Handbook of Development Economics, in: Hollis Chenery & T.N. Srinivasan (ed.), Handbook of Development Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 16, pages 763-830 Elsevier.
- Kirsten, Johann F. & Sartorius, Kurt, 2002.
"Linking Agribusiness And Small-Scale Farmers In Developing Countries: Is There A New Role For Contract Farming?,"
18025, University of Pretoria, Department of Agricultural Economics, Extension and Rural Development.
- Johann Kirsten & Kurt Sartorius, 2002. "Linking agribusiness and small-scale farmers in developing countries: Is there a new role for contract farming?," Development Southern Africa, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(4), pages 503-529.
- Swinnen, Johan F.M. & Maertens, Miet, 2006.
"Globalization, Privatization, and Vertical Coordination in Food Value Chains in Developing and Transition Countries,"
2006 Annual Meeting, August 12-18, 2006, Queensland, Australia
25626, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Johan F. M. Swinnen & Miet Maertens, 2007. "Globalization, privatization, and vertical coordination in food value chains in developing and transition countries," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 37(s1), pages 89-102, December.
- Takamasa Akiyama & John Baffes & Donald Larson & Panos Varangis, 2001. "Commodity Market Reforms : Lessons of Two Decades," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 13852, July.
- Jayne, T. S. & Govereh, J. & Mwanaumo, A. & Nyoro, J. K. & Chapoto, A., 2002. "False Promise or False Premise? The Experience of Food and Input Market Reform in Eastern and Southern Africa," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 30(11), pages 1967-1985, November.
- Fafchamps, Marcel & Minten, Bart, 1999.
"Property rights in a flea market economy,"
MTID discussion papers
27, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Colin Poulton & Jonathan Kydd & Andrew Dorward, 2006. "Overcoming Market Constraints on Pro-Poor Agricultural Growth in Sub-Saharan Africa," Development Policy Review, Overseas Development Institute, vol. 24(3), pages 243-277, 05.
- Negassa, Asfaw & Jayne, Thomas S., 1997. "The Response of Ethiopian Grain Markets to Liberalization," Food Security Collaborative Working Papers 55595, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
- Delgado, Christopher L., 1995. "Agricultural diversification and export promotion in sub-Saharan Africa," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 225-243, June.
- Jonathan Kydd & Andrew Dorward, 2004.
"Implications of market and coordination failures for rural development in least developed countries,"
Journal of International Development,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(7), pages 951-970.
- Jonathan Kydd & Andrew Dorward, 2006. "Implications of Market and Coordination Failures for Rural Development in Least Developed Countries," Working Papers id:762, eSocialSciences.
- Thomas Reardon & C. Peter Timmer & Christopher B. Barrett & Julio Berdegué, 2003. "The Rise of Supermarkets in Africa, Asia, and Latin America," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 85(5), pages 1140-1146.
- Salop, Steven C, 1979. "A Model of the Natural Rate of Unemployment," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 69(1), pages 117-25, March.
- Aksoy, M. Ataman & Beghin, John C., 2005.
"Global Agricultural Trade and Developing Countries,"
Staff General Research Papers Archive
12228, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- M. Ataman Aksoy & John C. Beghin, 2005. "Global Agricultural Trade and Developing Countries," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 7464, July.
- Hoff, Karla & Stiglitz, Joseph E., 1998.
"Moneylenders and bankers: price-increasing subsidies in a monopolistically competitive market,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 55(2), pages 485-518, April.
- Hoff, Karla & Stiglitz, Joseph E., 1997. "Moneylenders and bankers: price-increasing subsidies in a monopolistically competitive market," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 52(2), pages 429-462, April.
- Diao, Xinshen & Dorosh, Paul A. & Rahman, Shaikh Mahfuzur, 2003. "Market opportunities for African agriculture," DSGD discussion papers 1, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:eaa106:7950. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.