The Response of Ethiopian Grain Markets to Liberalization
The objective of this paper is to determine how liberalization of Ethiopia’s grain marketing system in March 1990 has affected the level and volatility of wholesale prices and price spreads between major regional cereal markets. The paper also identifies issues and problems needing attention to guide future policy decisions with the aim of reducing costs in the food system and thereby promoting the welfare of grain producers and consumers in Ethiopia.
|Date of creation:||1997|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Justin S. Morrill Hall of Agriculture, 446 West Circle Dr., Rm 202, East Lansing, MI 48824-1039|
Phone: (517) 355-4563
Fax: (517) 432-1800
Web page: http://www.aec.msu.edu/agecon/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- John Freebairn & Bill Griffiths, 2006. "Introduction," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 82(s1), pages S1-S1, 09.
- James D. Shaffer, 1980. "Food System Organization and Performance: Toward a Conceptual Framework," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 62(2), pages 310-318.
- Thomas S. Jayne & Robert J. Myers, 1994. "The Effect of Risk on Price Levels and Margins in International Wheat Markets," Review of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 16(1), pages 63-73.
- Christopher B. Barrett, 1996. "Market Analysis Methods: Are Our Enriched Toolkits Well Suited to Enlivened Markets?," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 78(3), pages 825-829.
- Jayne, T. S. & Jones, Stephen, 1997. "Food marketing and pricing policy in Eastern and Southern Africa: A survey," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 25(9), pages 1505-1527, September.
- Dadi, Legesse & Negassa, Asfaw & Franzel, Steven, 1992. "Marketing maize and tef in western Ethiopia : Implications for policies following market liberalization," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 201-213, June.
- Sims, Christopher A, 1980. "Macroeconomics and Reality," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(1), pages 1-48, January.
- Gordon, David F., 1996. "Sustaining economic reform under political liberalization in Africa: Issues and implications," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 24(9), pages 1527-1537, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:midcwp:55595. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.