The Effects of the Food Reserve Agency on Maize Market Prices in Zambia
This policy synthesis estimates the effects of the Zambia Food Reserve Agency’s (FRA) activities on maize market prices in the country. The FRA, a government parastatal strategic food reserve/maize marketing board, buys maize at a pan-territorial price that typically exceeds wholesale market prices in major maize producing areas. It then exports the maize or sells it domestically at prices determined by tender, at auction, or administratively. In deficit production years, the Agency often imports maize and sells it to select large-scale millers at below-market prices.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (517) 355-4563
Fax: (517) 432-1800
Web page: http://www.aec.msu.edu/agecon/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bellemare, Marc F. & Barrett, Christopher B. & Just, David R., 2010. "The Welfare Impacts of Commodity Price Fluctuations: Evidence from Rural Ethiopia," MPRA Paper 24457, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Myers, Robert J., 2006. "On the costs of food price fluctuations in low-income countries," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(4), pages 288-301, August.
- Ben S. Bernanke & Ilian Mihov, 1995.
"Measuring monetary policy,"
Working Papers in Applied Economic Theory
95-09, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- T. S. Jayne & Robert J. Myers & James Nyoro, 2008. "The effects of NCPB marketing policies on maize market prices in Kenya," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 38(3), pages 313-325, 05.
- Tembo, Gelson & Chapoto, Antony & Jayne, Thomas S. & Weber, Michael T., 2009. "Fostering Agricultural Market Development in Zambia," Food Security Collaborative Working Papers 54501, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
- Jayne, T. S. & Jones, Stephen, 1997. "Food marketing and pricing policy in Eastern and Southern Africa: A survey," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 25(9), pages 1505-1527, September.
- Chapoto, Antony & Jayne, Thomas S., 2009. "Effects of Maize Marketing and Trade Policy on Price Unpredictability in Zambia," Food Security Collaborative Working Papers 54499, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
- Nkonde, Chewe & Mason, Nicole M. & Sitko, Nicholas J. & Jayne, Thomas S., 2011. "Who Gained and Who Lost from Zambia's 2010 Maize Marketing Policies?," Food Security Collaborative Working Papers 99610, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
- Govereh, Jones & Malawo, Emma & Lungu, Tadeyo & Jayne, Thomas S. & Chinyama, Kasweka & Chilonda, Pius, 2009. "Trends and Spatial Distribution of Public Agricultural Spending in Zambia: Implication for Agricultural Productivity Growth," Food Security Collaborative Working Papers 54497, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
- Rosamond L. Naylor & Walter P. Falcon, 2010. "Food Security in an Era of Economic Volatility," Population and Development Review, The Population Council, Inc., vol. 36(4), pages 693-723, December.
- Govereh, Jones & Jayne, Thomas S. & Chapoto, Antony, 2008. "Assessment of Alternative Maize Trade and Market Policy Interventions in Zambia," Food Security Collaborative Working Papers 54492, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
- Elliot Mghenyi & Robert J. Myers & T.S. Jayne, 2011. "The effects of a large discrete maize price increase on the distribution of household welfare and poverty in rural Kenya-super-1," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 42(3), pages 343-356, 05.
- Sims, Christopher A, 1980. "Macroeconomics and Reality," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(1), pages 1-48, January.
- Weber, Michael T. & Staatz, John M. & Holtzman, John S. & Crawford, Eric W. & Bernsten, Richard H., 1988. "Informing Food Security Decisions in Africa: Empirical Analysis and Policy Dialogue," Staff Papers 200969, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
- Zulu, Ballard & Jayne, Thomas S. & Beaver, Margaret, 2007. "Smallholder Household Maize Production and Marketing Behavior in Zambia and Its Implications for Policy," Food Security Collaborative Working Papers 54481, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:midcpb:120766. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.