Impact of climate change on wheat market and food security in Sudan: stochastic approach and CGE model and CGE Model
The paper aims at analysing the impact of the likely change in rainfall on food availability and access to food in Sudan. The empirical investigation is based on an integrated approach consisting of a stochastic method and CGE model. The former provides the likely changes in sorghum, millet and wheat productivity and their probability of occurrence according to rainfall predictions based on historical data. These results are at the basis of the shocks simulated in a standard CGE model augmented with a stochastic component. Achievements underline the negative impact on the two dimensions of food security taken into consideration, mainly due to a reduction in cereal supply, a marked cereal inflation pressure and income contraction; the grater negative effect on the poorest households; and a deterioration of the economic performance of the country. In this context, the paper stresses a strong interconnection among climate change, poverty and food insecurity and thus the need for an integrated policy-making approach.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.aieaa.org/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Khalid Siddig, 2011.
"The Controversy of Exchange Rate Devaluation in Sudan: An Economy-wide General Equilibrium Assessment,"
- Khalid H.A. Siddig, 2012. "The Controversy of Exchange Rate Devaluation in Sudan: An Economy-wide General Equilibrium Assessment," African Development Review, African Development Bank, vol. 24(3), pages 245-254, 09.
- Khalid Hassan, 2012. "The Controversy of Exchange Rate Devaluation in Sudan: An Economy-wide General Equilibrium Assessment," African Development Review, African Development Bank, vol. 24(3), pages 245-254.
- Siddig, Khalid H.A., 2011. "The Controversy of Exchange Rate Devaluation in Sudan: An Economy-wide General Equilibrium Assessment," Agricultural Economics Working Paper Series 112971, University of Khartoum, Department of Agricultural Economics.
- Rashid M. Hassan & Arne Hallam, 1996.
"Macro-Economic Linkages To Agriculture: A General Equilibrium Model For Sudan,"
Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 47(1-4), pages 66-88.
- Hassan, R. M. & Hallam, Arne, 1996. "Macro-Economic Linkages to Agriculture: A General Equilibrium Model for Sudan," Staff General Research Papers 5157, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Zhai, Fan & Lin, Tun & Byambadorj, Enerelt, 2009.
"A general equilibrium analysis of the impact of climate change on agriculture in the People's Republic of China,"
21127, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Zhai, Fan & Lin, Tun & Byambadorj, Enerelt, 2009. "A General Equilibrium Analysis of the Impact of Climate Change on Agriculture in the People’s Republic of China," Asian Development Review, Asian Development Bank, vol. 26(1), pages 206-225.
- Dominique VAN DER MENSBRUGGHE, 2010. "Climate Change Policy Options for Asian Economies: Findings from an Integrated Assessment Model," Asian Economic Policy Review, Japan Center for Economic Research, vol. 5(1), pages 63-83.
- Thurlow, James & van Seventer, Dirk Ernst, 2002. "A standard computable general equilibrium model for South Africa," TMD discussion papers 100, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aieacp:124110. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.