The Treatment of Agriculture in Regional Trade Agreements in the Americas
This IDB Working Paper is intended to provide an overview of how the agricultural sector is treated in regional trade agreements (RTAs) involving Latin American countries, whose exports tend to be more oriented towards agriculture. The paper compares the treatment of agriculture in RTAs between Latin American countries ("intra-Americas agreements"), as well as with Asian countries ("trans-Pacific agreements:), and Europe and the Middle East ("trans-Atlantic agreements"). The paper also offers case studies on the impact of the agreements on agricultural trade between the signatory parties and assesses opportunities for trade liberalization in the agricultural sector afforded by RTAs in comparison with multilateral trade agreements.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.iadb.org/publications/Email:
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:inr:wpaper:244269 is not listed on IDEAS
- Zhai, Fan & Lin, Tun & Byambadorj, Enerelt, 2009.
"A general equilibrium analysis of the impact of climate change on agriculture in the People's Republic of China,"
21127, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Zhai, Fan & Lin, Tun & Byambadorj, Enerelt, 2009. "A General Equilibrium Analysis of the Impact of Climate Change on Agriculture in the People’s Republic of China," Asian Development Review, Asian Development Bank, vol. 26(1), pages 206-225.
- repec:idb:brikps:20098 is not listed on IDEAS
- Josling, Timothy E., 2009. "Why Trade Negotiations Still Matter to U.S. Agriculture," Policy Issues 93682, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Alberto AMURGO PACHECO, 2006. "Mutual Recognition Agreements and Trade Diversion: Consequences for Developing Nations," IHEID Working Papers 20-2006, Economics Section, The Graduate Institute of International Studies, revised Jun 2007.
- Richard Baldwin, 2007.
"Multilateralising Regionalism: Sphagetti Bowls as building Blocs on the Path to Global Free Trade,"
- Richard E. Baldwin, 2006. "Multilateralising Regionalism: Spaghetti Bowls as Building Blocs on the Path to Global Free Trade," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 29(11), pages 1451-1518, November.
- Baldwin, Richard, 2006. "Multilateralising Regionalism: Spaghetti Bowls as Building Blocs on the Path to Global Free Trade," CEPR Discussion Papers 5775, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Richard Baldwin, 2006. "Multilateralising Regionalism: Spaghetti Bowls as Building Blocs on the Path to Global Free Trade," NBER Working Papers 12545, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gary Clyde Hufbauer & Richard E. Baldwin, 2006.
"Shape of a Swiss-US Free Trade Agreement, The,"
Peterson Institute Press: Policy Analyses in International Economics,
Peterson Institute for International Economics, number pa76, 03.
- Antoni Estevadeordal & Kati Suominen, 2005. "Rules of Origin in Preferential Trading Arrangements: Is All Well with the Spaghetti Bowl in the Americas?," JOURNAL OF LACEA ECONOMIA, LACEA - LATIN AMERICAN AND CARIBBEAN ECONOMIC ASSOCIATION.
- Wu, Zhe & Li, Jing, 2009. "Effects of Land Circulation on the Development of Modern Agriculture," Asian Agricultural Research, USA-China Science and Culture Media Corporation, vol. 1(10), October.
- Disdier, Anne-Celia & Fontagne, Lionel & Mimouni, Mondher, 2008.
"AJAE Appendix: The Impact of Regulations on Agricultural Trade: Evidence from the SPS and TBT Agreements,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics Appendices,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 90(2), May.
- Anne-Célia Disdier & Lionel Fontagné & Mondher Mimouni, 2008. "The Impact of Regulations on Agricultural Trade: Evidence from the SPS and TBT Agreements," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 90(2), pages 336-350.
- Matthew Shearer & Kati Suominen & Antoni Estevadeordal, 2009. "Multilateralising RTAs in the Americas: State of Play and Ways Forward," IDB Publications (Working Papers) 9300, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Aldaz-Carroll, Enrique, 2006. "Regional approaches to better standards systems," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3948, The World Bank.
- Wilfred J. Ethier, 1998. "Regionalism in a Multilateral World," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 106(6), pages 1214-1245, December.
- Kaye-Blake, William & Li, Frank Y. & Martin, A. McLeish & McDermott, Alan & Neil, Hayley & Rains, Scott, 2009. "A review of Multi-Agent Simulation Models in Agriculture," 2009 Conference, August 27-28, 2009, Nelson, New Zealand 97165, New Zealand Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Su, Jianlan & Lin, Shiwen & Liu, Na, 2009. "Introduction of Rural Ecological Environment and Circular Economy Development Mode of Eco-agriculture and Forestry," Asian Agricultural Research, USA-China Science and Culture Media Corporation, vol. 1(10), October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:idb:brikps:23538. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Monica Bazan)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.