An Experimental Approach To Estimating Willingess-Topay For Improvements In Food Safety
This paper presents the results obtained from two experimental auctions regarding consumer willingness-to-pay (WTP) for food safety improvements. The research found a positive WTP for food safety. However WTP amounts are different when participants bid with objective risk information as compared with the naive (bid without this risk information. There appears to be no significant difference in WTP regarding different magnitudes of risk reduction.
|Date of creation:||2005|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: AARES Central Office Manager, Crawford School of Public Policy, ANU, Canberra ACT 0200|
Phone: 0409 032 338
Web page: http://www.aares.info/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Shogren, Jason F. & Seung Y. Shin & Dermot J. Hayes & James B. Kliebenstein, 1994.
"Resolving Differences in Willingness to Pay and Willingness to Accept,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 84(1), pages 255-270, March.
- Shogren, Jason F. & Shin, Seung Youll & Hayes, Dermot J. & Kliebenstein, James, 1994. "Resolving Differences in Willingness to Pay and Willingness to Accept," Staff General Research Papers Archive 701, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Stenger, Anne, 2000. "Experimental valuation of food safety: Application to sewage sludge," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 25(2), pages 211-218, April.
- Buzby, Jean C. & Skees, Jerry R. & Ready, Richard C., 1995. "Chapter 12: USING CONTINGENT VALUATION TO VALUE FOOD SAFETY: A CASE STUDY OF GRAPEFRUIT AND PESTICIDE RESIDUES," Valuing Food Safety and Nutrition (1995), Regional Research Project NE-165 Private Strategies, Public Policies, and Food System Performance, number 25972.
- Brown, Jennifer & Cranfield, John A.L. & Henson, Spencer J., 2003. "Misassessed Risk In Consumer Valuation Of Food Safety: An Experimental Approach," 2003 Annual meeting, July 27-30, Montreal, Canada 22194, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Kuchler, Fred & Golan, Elise H., 1999. "Assigning Values To Life: Comparing Methods For Valuing Health Risks," Agricultural Economics Reports 34037, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Spencer Henson, 1996. "Consumer Willingness To Pay For Reductions In The Risk Of Food Poisoning In The Uk," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 47(1-4), pages 403-420.
- Fox, John A. & Shogren, J. & Hayes, Dermot J. & Kliebenstein, James, 1995. "Experimental Auctions to Measure Willingness to Pay for Food Safety," Staff General Research Papers Archive 5343, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Fox, John A. & Shogren, Jason F. & Hayes, Dermot J. & Kliebenstein, James B., 1995. "Chapter 06: EXPERIMENTAL AUCTIONS TO MEASURE WILLINGNESS TO PAY FOR FOOD SAFETY," Valuing Food Safety and Nutrition (1995), Regional Research Project NE-165 Private Strategies, Public Policies, and Food System Performance, number 25986. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)