The welfare effect of the new wave of protectionism: The case of Argentina
This paper studies the welfare impact of alternative scenarios of trade protectionism and liberalization in Argentina. The impact of the different trade policies is assessed in two different ways. We first use the multi-sectoral and multi-regional computable general equilibrium MIRAGE model to assess the effects of trade policy on GDP, exports, imports, terms of trade, real wages, and welfare. The second approach is to follow the trade and poverty literature and use the price and factor remuneration changes from each simulation to feed them into household survey data and assess the welfare effect on Argentine households. The simulations show that an increase in protectionism in a unilateral way has only short term benefits while the long run effects are negative. On the other hand liberalization scenarios tend to have short term negative effects.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202|
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Brad J. McDonald & Christian Henn, 2011. "Protectionist Responses to the Crisis; Damage Observed in Product-Level Trade," IMF Working Papers 11/139, International Monetary Fund.
- Evenett Simon J, 2009.
"What Can Be Learned From Crisis-Era Protectionism? An Initial Assessment,"
Business and Politics,
De Gruyter, vol. 11(3), pages 1-28, November.
- Evenett, Simon J, 2009. "What Can Be Learned from Crisis-Era Protectionism? An Initial Assessment," CEPR Discussion Papers 7494, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Rob Gregory & Christian Henn & Brad Mcdonald & Mika Saito, 2010.
"Trade And The Crisis: Protect Or Recover,"
Journal of International Commerce, Economics and Policy (JICEP),
World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 1(02), pages 165-181.
- Bussière, Matthieu & Pérez-Barreiro, Emilia & Straub, Roland & Taglioni, Daria, 2010.
"Protectionist responses to the crisis – global trends and implications,"
Occasional Paper Series
110, European Central Bank.
- Matthieu Bussière & Emilia Pérez‐Barreiro & Roland Straub & Daria Taglioni, 2011. "Protectionist Responses to the Crisis: Global Trends and Implications," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 34, pages 826-852, 05.
- Bussière, M. & Pérez-Barreiro, E. & Straub, R. & Taglioni, D., 2011. "Protectionist Responses to the Crisis: Global Trends and Implications," Working papers 319, Banque de France.
- Yvan Decreux & Hugo Valin, 2007.
"MIRAGE, Updated Version of the Model for Trade Policy Analysis: Focus on Agriculture and Dynamics,"
2007-15, CEPII research center.
- Decreux, Yvan & Valin, Hugo, 2007. "MIRAGE, Updated Version of the Model for Trade Policy Analysis: Focus on Agriculture and Dynamics," Working Papers 7284, TRADEAG - Agricultural Trade Agreements.
- Antoine Bouët & Yvan Decreux & Lionel Fontagné & Sébastien Jean & David Laborde, 2008.
"Assessing Applied Protection across the World,"
Review of International Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 16(5), pages 850-863, November.
- Antoine Bouet & Yvan Decreux & Lionel Fontagné & Sébastien Jean & David Laborde, 2008. "Assessing Applied Protection across the World," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) hal-00307910, HAL.
- Hiau Looi Kee & Alessandro Nicita & Marcelo Olarreaga, 2008.
"Import Demand Elasticities and Trade Distortions,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 90(4), pages 666-682, November.
- Hiau Looi Kee & Nicita, Alessandro & Olarreaga, Marcelo, 2004. "Import demand elasticities and trade distortions," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3452, The World Bank.
- Kee, Hiau Looi & Nicita, Alessandro & Olarreaga, Marcelo, 2004. "Import Demand Elasticities and Trade Distortions," CEPR Discussion Papers 4669, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Hiau Looi Kee & Cristina Neagu & Alessandro Nicita, 2013.
"Is Protectionism on the Rise? Assessing National Trade Policies during the Crisis of 2008,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 95(1), pages 342-346, March.
- Kee, Hiau Looi & Neagu, Cristina & Nicita, Alessandro, 2010. "Is protectionism on the rise ? assessing national trade policies during the crisis of 2008," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5274, The World Bank.
- Gawande, Kishore & Hoekman, Bernard & Cui, Yue, 2011. "Determinants of trade policy responses to the 2008 financial crisis," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5862, The World Bank.
- Deaton, Angus, 1989. "Rice Prices and Income Distribution in Thailand: A Non-parametric Analysis," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 99(395), pages 1-37, Supplemen.
- Lionel Fontagné & Amélie Guillin & Cristina Mitaritonna, 2011. "Estimations of Tariff Equivalents for the Services Sectors," Working Papers 2011-24, CEPII research center.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aaea13:151626. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.