Estimating the Censored Demand for U.S. Cheese Varieties Using Panel Data: Impact of Economic and Demographic Factors
The United States cheese consumption has grown considerably over the years. Using Nielsen Homescan panel data for calendar years 2005 and 2006, this paper examines the effect of economic and socio-demographic factors on the demand for disaggregated cheese varieties. In this study, we estimated the censored demand for 14 cheese varieties and identified the respective own-price and cross-price elasticities. Also, non-price factors were determined affecting the purchase of each variety as well as the impact of generic dairy advertising. Results revealed that most of the natural cheese varieties have an elastic demand while the processed cheese products exhibited inelastic demands. Strong substitution and complementarity relationships were identified as well, and a two quarter carry-over effect of advertising was observed for most of cheese demands. Results also showed that household demographics affected the demands differently, depending on the nature of the cheese varieties.
|Date of creation:||2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202|
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Davis, Christopher G. & Blayney, Donald & Dong, Diansheng & Yen, Steven T. & Johnson, Rachel J., 2011.
"Will Changing Demographics Affect U.S. Cheese Demand?,"
Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics,
Cambridge University Press, vol. 43(02), pages 259-273, May.
- Davis, Christopher G. & Blayney, Donald P. & Dong, Diansheng & Yen, Steven T. & Johnson, Rachel J., 2011. "Will Changing Demographics Affect U.S. Cheese Demand?," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 43(02), May.
- Giuseppe Bruno, 2004. "Limited dependent panel data models: a comparative analysis of classical and Bayesian inference among econometric packages," Computing in Economics and Finance 2004 41, Society for Computational Economics.
- Brian W. Gould & Huei Chin Lin, 1994. "The demand for cheese in the United States: The role of household composition," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 10(1), pages 43-59.
- Schmit, Todd M. & Dong, Diansheng & Chung, Chanjin & Kaiser, Harry M. & Gould, Brian W., 2002. "Identifying The Effects Of Generic Advertising On The Household Demand For Fluid Milk And Cheese: A Two-Step Panel Data Approach," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 27(01), July.
- Diansheng Dong & Brian W. Gould & Harry M. Kaiser, 2004. "Food Demand in Mexico: An Application of the Amemiya-Tobin Approach to the Estimation of a Censored Food System," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 86(4), pages 1094-1107.
- J. Scott Shonkwiler & Steven T. Yen, 1999. "Two-Step Estimation of a Censored System of Equations," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 81(4), pages 972-982.
- Carlos Arnade & Munisamy Gopinath & Daniel Pick, 2008. "Brand Inertia in U.S. Household Cheese Consumption," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 90(3), pages 813-826.
- Brian W. Gould & Jorge Cornick & Thomas Cox, 1994. "Consumer Demand for New Reduced-fat Foods: An Analysis of Cheese Expenditures," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 42(3), pages 367-380, November.
- Donghun Kim & Ronald W. Cotterill, 2008. "COST PASS-THROUGH IN DIFFERENTIATED PRODUCT MARKETS: THE CASE OF U.S. PROCESSED CHEESE -super-," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 56(1), pages 32-48, 03.
- Min-Hsin Huang & Eugene Jones & David Hahn, 2007. "Determinants of price elasticities for private labels and national brands of cheese," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 39(5), pages 553-563. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aaea13:151298. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.