Long-run costs of piecemeal reform: wage inequality and returns to education in Vietnam
Download full text from publisher
Other versions of this item:
- Phan, Diep & Coxhead, Ian, 2013. "Long-run costs of piecemeal reform: Wage inequality and returns to education in Vietnam," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(4), pages 1106-1122.
- Phan, Diep & Coxhead, Ian, 2012. "Long-Run Costs of Piecemeal Reform: Wage Inequality and Returns to Education in Vietnam," Staff Paper Series 566, University of Wisconsin, Agricultural and Applied Economics.
References listed on IDEAS
- Daniel Münich & Jan Svejnar & Katherine Terrell, 2005.
"Returns to Human Capital Under The Communist Wage Grid and During the Transition to a Market Economy,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 87(1), pages 100-123, February.
- Daniel Munich & Jan Svejnar & Daniel Munich, 1999. "Returns to Human Capital under the Communist Wage Grid and During the Transition to a Market Economy," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 272, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Münich, Daniel & Svejnar, Jan & Terrell, Katherine, 1999. "Returns to Human Capital Under the Communist Wage Grid and During the Transition to a Market Economy," CEPR Discussion Papers 2332, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Münich, Daniel & Svejnar, Jan & Terrell, Katherine, 2000. "Returns to Human Capital under the Communist Wage Grid and During the Transition to a Market Economy," IZA Discussion Papers 122, Institute of Labor Economics (IZA).
- John Knight & Lina Song, 2003. "Increasing urban wage inequality in China," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 11(4), pages 597-619, December.
- Per Krusell & Lee E. Ohanian & JosÈ-Victor RÌos-Rull & Giovanni L. Violante, 2000.
"Capital-Skill Complementarity and Inequality: A Macroeconomic Analysis,"
Econometric Society, vol. 68(5), pages 1029-1054, September.
- Per Krusell & Lee E. Ohanian & Jose-Victor Rios-Rull & Giovanni L. Violante, 1997. "Capital-skill complementarity and inequality: a macroeconomic analysis," Staff Report 239, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- George Psacharopoulos & Harry Anthony Patrinos, 2004.
"Returns to investment in education: a further update,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(2), pages 111-134.
- Psacharopoulos, George & Patrinos, Harry Anthony, 2002. "Returns to investment in education : a further update," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2881, The World Bank.
- Pham, T. Hung & Reilly, Barry, 2007. "Ethnic Wage Inequality in Vietnam: Empirical Evidence from 2002," MPRA Paper 6477, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jacob A. Mincer, 1974. "Introduction to "Schooling, Experience, and Earnings"," NBER Chapters,in: Schooling, Experience, and Earnings, pages 1-4 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jorge Saba Arbache & Andy Dickerson & Francis Green, 2004. "Trade Liberalisation and Wages in Developing Countries," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 114(493), pages 73-96, February.
- Griliches, Zvi, 1969. "Capital-Skill Complementarity," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 51(4), pages 465-468, November.
- Clément Imbert, 2011. "Decomposing wage inequality: Public and private sectors in Vietnam 1993-2006," PSE Working Papers halshs-00564653, HAL.
- Muqun Li & Ian Coxhead, 2011.
"Trade and Inequality with Limited Labor Mobility: Theory and Evidence from China,"
Review of Development Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 15(1), pages 48-65, February.
- Muqun Li & Ian Coxhead, 2010. "Trade And Inequality With Limited Labor Mobility: Theory And Evidence From China," ISER Discussion Paper 0780, Institute of Social and Economic Research, Osaka University.
- FANG Zheng & Chris SAKELLARIOU, 2010.
"After the Reforms: Determinants of Wage Growth and Change in Wage Inequality in Vietnam - 1998 -2008,"
Economic Growth Centre Working Paper Series
1006, Nanyang Technological University, School of Social Sciences, Economic Growth Centre.
- Sakellariou, Chris & Fang, Zheng, 2010. "After the reforms: Determinants of wage growth and change in wage inequality in Vietnam: 1998-2008," MPRA Paper 27518, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Justin Yifu Lin, 2013. "Demystifying the Chinese Economy," Australian Economic Review, The University of Melbourne, Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, vol. 46(3), pages 259-268, September.
- Pham, Thai-Hung & Reilly, Barry, 2007.
"The gender pay gap in Vietnam, 1993-2002: A quantile regression approach,"
Journal of Asian Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 18(5), pages 775-808, October.
- Barry Reilly & T. Hung Pham, 2006. "The Gender Pay Gap In Vietnam, 1993-2002: A Quantile Regression Approach," PRUS Working Papers 34, Poverty Research Unit at Sussex, University of Sussex.
- Pham, Hung T & Reilly, Barry, 2007. "The Gender Pay Gap In Vietnam, 1993-2002: A Quantile Regression Approach," MPRA Paper 6475, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Zhu, Susan Chun & Trefler, Daniel, 2005. "Trade and inequality in developing countries: a general equilibrium analysis," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 65(1), pages 21-48, January.
- Markus Taussig, 2009. "Where Is Credit Due? Legal Institutions, Connections, and the Efficiency of Bank Lending in Vietnam," Journal of Law, Economics, and Organization, Oxford University Press, vol. 25(2), pages 535-578, October.
- International Monetary Fund, 2007. "Vietnam; Statistical Appendix," IMF Staff Country Reports 07/386, International Monetary Fund.
- Clément Imbert, 2011. "Decomposing wage inequality: Public and private sectors in Vietnam 1993-2006," Working Papers halshs-00564653, HAL.
- Wood, Adrian, 1997. "Openness and Wage Inequality in Developing Countries: The Latin American Challenge to East Asian Conventional Wisdom," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 11(1), pages 33-57, January.
- Prema‐chandra Athukorala, 2006.
"Trade Policy Reforms and the Structure of Protection in Vietnam,"
The World Economy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 29(2), pages 161-187, February.
- Prema-chandra Athukorala, 2005. "Trade Policy Reforms and the Structure of Protection in Vietnam," Departmental Working Papers 2005-06, The Australian National University, Arndt-Corden Department of Economics.
- John Duffy & Chris Papageorgiou & Fidel Perez-Sebastian, 2004.
"Capital-Skill Complementarity? Evidence from a Panel of Countries,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 86(1), pages 327-344, February.
- Chris Papageorgiou & Fidel Pérez Sebastián & John Duffy, 2002. "Capital-Skill Complementarity? Evidence From A Panel Of Countries," Working Papers. Serie AD 2002-09, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Chris Papageorgiou & John Duffy & Fidel Perez-Sebastian, 2003. "Capital-Skill complementarity? Evidence from a Panel of Countries," Departmental Working Papers 2003-012, Department of Economics, Louisiana State University.
- World Bank, 2012. "Vietnam," World Bank Other Operational Studies 27225, The World Bank.
- Feenstra, Robert C. & Hanson, Gordon H., 1997.
"Foreign direct investment and relative wages: Evidence from Mexico's maquiladoras,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 42(3-4), pages 371-393, May.
- Robert C. Feenstra & Gordon H. Hanson, 1995. "Foreign Direct Investment and Relative Wages: Evidence from Mexico's Maquiladoras," NBER Working Papers 5122, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jacob A. Mincer, 1974. "Schooling, Experience, and Earnings," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number minc74-1, September.
- Robert J. Flanagan, 1995. "Wage Structures in the Transition of the Czech Economy," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 42(4), pages 836-854, December.
- Moock, Peter R. & Patrinos, Harry Anthony & Venkataraman, Meera, 2003. "Education and earnings in a transition economy: the case of Vietnam," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 22(5), pages 503-510, October.
- Brainerd, Elizabeth, 1998. "Winners and Losers in Russia's Economic Transition," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 88(5), pages 1094-1116, December.
- Orazem, Peter F. & Vodopivec, Milan, 1997. "Value of human capital in transition to market: Evidence from Slovenia," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 41(3-5), pages 893-903, April.
- Adamchik, Vera A. & Bedi, Arjun S., 2000. "Wage differentials between the public and the private sectors: evidence from an economy in transition," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(2), pages 203-224, March.
- Margaret Grosh & Paul Glewwe, 2000. "Designing Household Survey Questionnaires for Developing Countries : Lessons from 15 Years of the Living Standards Measurement Study, Volume 2," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 15194, September.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- McGuinness, Seamus & Kelly, Elish & Pham Thi Thu, Phuong & Ha Thi Thu, Thuy, 2015. "Returns to Education and the Demand for Labour in Vietnam," Papers WP506, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- Schmillen,Achim Daniel & Packard,Truman G., 2016. "Vietnam's labor market institutions, regulations, and interventions : helping people grasp work opportunities in a risky world," Policy Research Working Paper Series 7587, The World Bank.
- Dang, Thang, 2017. "Education as Protection? The Effect of Schooling on Non-Wage Compensation in a Developing Country," MPRA Paper 79223, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Shaio Yan Huang & Chao-Hsiung Lee & Lee-Hsien Pan & Bich Hanh Nguyen Thi, 2016. "IPO Initial Excess Return in an Emerging Market: Evidence from Vietnam’s Stock Exchanges," Review of Pacific Basin Financial Markets and Policies (RPBFMP), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 19(02), pages 1-23, June.
- Nguyen, Thinh T. & Saito, Hisamitsu & Isoda, Hiroshi & Ito, Shoichi, 2015. "Balancing Skilled with Unskilled Migration in an Urbanizing Agricultural Economy," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 66(C), pages 457-467.
- repec:tpr:asiaec:v:16:y:2017:i:2:p:28-45 is not listed on IDEAS
- Tomoki Fujii, 2018.
"Has the development gap between the ethnic minority and majority groups narrowed in Vietnam?: Evidence from household surveys,"
The World Economy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41(8), pages 2067-2101, August.
- Fujii, Tomoki, 2017. "Has the Development Gap between the Ethnic Minority and Majority Groups Narrowed in Viet Nam? Evidence from Household Surveys," ADBI Working Papers 661, Asian Development Bank Institute.
- Ian Coxhead & Diep Phan, 2013. "Princelings and Paupers? State Employment and the Distribution of Human Capital Investments Among Households in Viet Nam," Asian Development Review, MIT Press, vol. 30(2), pages 26-48, September.
- Ian Coxhead & Rashesh Shrestha, 2017.
"Globalization and School–Work Choices in an Emerging Economy: Vietnam,"
Asian Economic Papers,
MIT Press, vol. 16(2), pages 28-45, Summer.
- Ian Coxhead & Rashesh Shrestha, 2016. "Globalization and school-work choices in an emerging economy: Vietnam," Departmental Working Papers 2016-17, The Australian National University, Arndt-Corden Department of Economics.
More about this item
KeywordsInternational Development; Labor and Human Capital;
- F16 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Trade and Labor Market Interactions
- J31 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Wages, Compensation, and Labor Costs - - - Wage Level and Structure; Wage Differentials
- P23 - Economic Systems - - Socialist Systems and Transition Economies - - - Factor and Product Markets; Industry Studies; Population
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-DEV-2012-06-25 (Development)
- NEP-LAB-2012-06-25 (Labour Economics)
- NEP-LMA-2012-06-25 (Labor Markets - Supply, Demand, & Wages)
- NEP-TRA-2012-06-25 (Transition Economics)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aaea12:124207. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/aaeaaea.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.