Disadoption of Agricultural Practices by Livestock Farmers
To be effective, policies that encourage farmers to use new technologies or practices need farmers both adopt and also keep using these technologies and practices. Adoption of new technologies has been widely analyzed in the literature. However, there is little known about the factors that cause farmers to keep using new technologies or quit using them. Using hazard function estimation, the current study investigates disadoption of Roundup Ready soybeans, injecting manure into the soil, and soil testing. The results of the current study show that over time farmers observe the true benefits and costs of these practices and they become more likely to disadopt these practices.
|Date of creation:||30 Apr 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Couvillion, Warren C. & Kari, Fatimah & Hudson, Darren & Allen, Albert J., 2000. "A Preliminary Economic Assessment Of Roundup Ready Soybeans In Mississippi," Research reports 15783, Mississippi State University, Department of Agricultural Economics.
- Moser, Christine M. & Barrett, Christopher B., 2003. "The disappointing adoption dynamics of a yield-increasing, low external-input technology: the case of SRI in Madagascar," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 76(3), pages 1085-1100, June.
- Boris E. Bravo-Ureta & Horacio Cocchi & Daniel Solís, 2006.
"Adoption of Soil Conservation Technologies in El Salvador: A Cross-Section and Over-Time Analysis,"
IDB Publications (Working Papers)
24418, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Boris Bravo & Horacio Cocchi & Daniel Solís, 2006. "Adoption of Soil Conservation Technologies in El Salvador: A cross-Section and Over-Time Analysis," OVE Working Papers 1806, Inter-American Development Bank, Office of Evaluation and Oversight (OVE).
- An, Henry, 2008. "The Adoption and Disadoption of Recombinant Bovine Somatotropin in the U.S. Dairy Industry," 2008 Annual Meeting, July 27-29, 2008, Orlando, Florida 6278, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Fernandez-Cornejo, Jorge & Alexander, Corinne E. & Goodhue, Rachael E., 2002. "Dynamic Diffusion with Disadoption: The Case of Crop Biotechnology in the USA," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 31(1), April.
- Barham, Bradford L. & Jackson-Smith, Douglas & Moon, Sunung, 2002. "The Dynamics Of Agricultural Biotechnology Adoption: Lessons From Rbst Use In Wisconsin, 1994-2001," 2002 Annual meeting, July 28-31, Long Beach, CA 19627, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aaea09:49404. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.