The Adoption and Disadoption of Recombinant Bovine Somatotropin in the U.S. Dairy Industry
The use of recombinant bovine somatotropin (rbST) has been a source of much controversy ever since its commercial introduction in 1993. In spite of initial predictions that it would revolutionize the dairy industry, the reality is that more and more producers are choosing to discontinue using rbST. This paper contributes to the existing literature by addressing the disadoption decision. Using data from a nationally representative survey of U.S. dairy producers, this paper examines the reasons dairy producers have disadopted rbST and identifies the key variables that are correlated with adoption and disadoption. The results show that the use of complementary dairy technologies is associated with a higher probability of adopting rbST, a higher intensity of adoption and a lower probability of disadopting rbST.
|Date of creation:||2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.orgEmail:
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Carletto, Calogero & de Janvry, Alain & Sadoulet, Elisabeth, 1999. "Sustainability in the Diffusion of Innovations: Smallholder Nontraditional Agro-Exports in Guatemala," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 47(2), pages 345-69, January.
- Stefanides, Zdenko & Tauer, Loren W., 1998.
"The Empirical Impact Of Bovine Somatotropin On A Group Of New York Dairy Farms,"
7263, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- Zdenko Stefanides & Loren W. Tauer, 1999. "The Empirical Impact of Bovine Somatotropin on a Group of New York Dairy Farms," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 81(1), pages 95-102.
- Stefanides, Zdenko & Tauer, Loren W., 1998. "The Empirical Impact Of Bovine Somatotropin On A Group Of New York Dairy Farms," 1998 Annual meeting, August 2-5, Salt Lake City, UT 20888, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- K. Boys & M. Faye & J. Fulton & J. Lowenberg-DeBoer, 2007. "The economic impact of cowpea research in Senegal: an "ex-post" analysis with disadoption," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 36(3), pages 363-375, 05.
- MacDonald, James M. & O'Donoghue, Erik J. & McBride, William D. & Nehring, Richard F. & Sandretto, Carmen L. & Mosheim, Roberto, 2007. "Profits, Costs, and the Changing Structure of Dairy Farming," Economic Research Report 6704, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Jeremy D. Foltz & Hsiu-Hui Chang, 2002. "The Adoption and Profitability of rbST on Connecticut Dairy Farms," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 84(4), pages 1021-1032.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aaea08:6278. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.