Profits, Costs, and the Changing Structure of Dairy Farming
U.S. dairy production is consolidating into fewer but larger farms. This report uses data from several USDA surveys to detail that consolidation and to analyze the financial drivers of consolidation. Specifically, larger farms realize lower production costs. Although small dairy farms realize higher revenue per hundredweight of milk sold, the cost advantages of larger size allow large farms to be profitable, on average, even while most small farms are unable to earn enough to replace their capital. Further survey evidence, as well as the financial data, suggest that consolidation is likely to continue.
|Date of creation:||2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.ers.usda.gov/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- McBride, William D. & Greene, Catherine R., 2007. "A Comparison of Conventional and Organic Milk Production Systems in the U.S," 2007 Annual Meeting, July 29-August 1, 2007, Portland, Oregon TN 9680, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Gollehon, Noel R. & Caswell, Margriet & Ribaudo, Marc & Kellogg, Robert L. & Lander, Charles & Letson, David, 2000.
"Confined Animal Production And Manure Nutrients,"
2000 Annual Meeting, June 29-July 1, 2000, Vancouver, British Columbia
36382, Western Agricultural Economics Association.
- Tauer, Loren W. & Mishra, Ashok K., 2006.
"Can the small dairy farm remain competitive in US agriculture?,"
Elsevier, vol. 31(5), pages 458-468, October.
- Tauer, Loren W. & Mishra, Ashok K., 2003. "Can the Small Dairy Farm Remain Competitive in U.S. Agriculture?," Working Papers 127239, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- MacDonald, James M. & O'Donoghue, Erik J. & McBride, William D. & Nehring, Richard F. & Sandretto, Carmen L. & Mosheim, Roberto, 2007. "Profits, Costs, and the Changing Structure of Dairy Farming," Economic Research Report 6704, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Ribaudo, Marc & Kaplan, Jonathan D. & Christensen, Lee A. & Gollehon, Noel R. & Johansson, Robert C. & Breneman, Vincent E. & Aillery, Marcel P. & Agapoff, Jean & Peters, Mark, 2003. "Manure Management For Water Quality Costs To Animal Feeding Operations Of Applying Manure Nutrients To Land," Agricultural Economics Reports 33911, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:uersrr:6704. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.